Onion

Buying a Motorcycle

$300 over your budget but says negotiable so I'm sure he'll take $2500 cash. Bit far being in Tampa, but you can rent a small trailer if you don't wanna ride it back. I know its a lot more expensive, but you can't really compare a 98 FZ6 to a 2010 Ninja 650.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/mcy/4422121260.html for $2500 would be sweet. A lot of bike for a first rider, but its something you can keep a long time and grow into.

That's a pretty good deal!

Here's a cheap '08 250 Ninja for $1600 (I'm guessing because it looks like it was raced?): http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/4420960647.html

When all else fails: http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/4393283969.html

The price and distance make it too much for me. Either a couple hundred over my max or a couple hundred miles. 

That $1600 ninja is a race bike, it has no tail light or anything. 

That vespa isn't as bad as the boxy 1980s scooters I've seen. :lol: They looked like reliant robins. :lol:

I've decided to go for the 250. Insurance is much cheaper and gas mileage is better. Also, there's the fact that the lady is barely okay with a motorcycle, so a 650 is pushing it. :lol:

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/4419448778.html

Edit: Talking to this guy, probably going to end up with this one.

http://gainesville.craigslist.org/mcy/4410142000.html

Edited by Onion

Nothing wrong with that.  Nothing wrong with trading it in for one with a bit more power down the road if (when?) you get the itch, either.   ;)

From one rider to another (or soon to be, anyway), safe travels and enjoy the ride!

Edit: 

And IVIY, like the bike, man.  I'm a bit of a Yamaha fanboy myself.  I'm just drooling to get one of their FZ-09s in my garage.  I'm breaking the wife a little bit everyday, and my plan to bring one of those sweet Japanese two-wheeled fun machines into my life comes closer to fruition with every passing moment!  Haha, j/k... kinda...

Edited by Bizzlenitch

I've run into a bit of a snag. Call me stupid all you want.

I meet with the guy. The bike has some minor scratches on the side, but never thought anything of it. 

Filled out a bill of sale. Bill of sale states that the bike is a clean title as I've been advised to put that in there. It started pouring so I gloss over the title to make sure its for the right vehicle, and sign it. After signing it, I see that it's a rebuilt bike and tell him he didn't disclose it, it wasn't on his listing, etc. I have his name, address, plate, and phone number. The guy starts arguing with me, hops into his girlfriend's car and takes off. Here I am with a rebuilt bike, a bill of sale that he was dishonest with, the title, and his plate. Is there anything I can do as far as misrepresentation goes? 

And IVIY, like the bike, man.  I'm a bit of a Yamaha fanboy myself.  I'm just drooling to get one of their FZ-09s in my garage.  I'm breaking the wife a little bit everyday, and my plan to bring one of those sweet Japanese two-wheeled fun machines into my life comes closer to fruition with every passing moment!  Haha, j/k... kinda...

Thanks, it's been a swell steed indeed! The FZ-09 looks fun, but I don't like how it's only a one seater (though i guess it'd be great for a fun only machine). Let me know how you like it though, a couple of guys on the FZ6 forum have moved up to that and have been enjoying it quite well.

What do you have now?

I've run into a bit of a snag. Call me stupid all you want.

I meet with the guy. The bike has some minor scratches on the side, but never thought anything of it. 

Filled out a bill of sale. Bill of sale states that the bike is a clean title as I've been advised to put that in there. It started pouring so I gloss over the title to make sure its for the right vehicle, and sign it. After signing it, I see that it's a rebuilt bike and tell him he didn't disclose it, it wasn't on his listing, etc. I have his name, address, plate, and phone number. The guy starts arguing with me, hops into his girlfriend's car and takes off. Here I am with a rebuilt bike, a bill of sale that he was dishonest with, the title, and his plate. Is there anything I can do as far as misrepresentation goes? 

Wow, that's wild ride he put you on, but I'm not sure what you can do if anything since you signed :-/. They'd probably side with him on grounds that you should have carefully looked over everything before hand... does the bike seem to run fine and all besides the scuffs?

Yeah it runs fine. It has a couple aftermarket parts, too, like one of those LED tail lights that blink when you hit the brakes and an exhaust much lighter than the stock one. 

Yeah it runs fine. It has a couple aftermarket parts, too, like one of those LED tail lights that blink when you hit the brakes and an exhaust much lighter than the stock one. 

Well you're committed now, that's all. The only thing to worry about would be when/if you'd want to sell it, but that'd be a ways out. You could always sell it to a friend and explain to them that it's not a cause for a concern (as it doesn't seem to be here).

Just find a nice CBR250 forum and learn as much as you can so you can check all that you can while the deal is fresh, so that if there is something remotely related to the "rebuild" title, than you may have the necessary ammunition to go after the guy.

Hopefully that's the only "problem" with the bike though and it turns out being as good a deal as it appeared

Also something I never thought to have (that I never needed really but should have considered at the time) on my Ninja that my FZ6 came with is frame sliders. You should look into some for it, that way if it ever goes down, dropped or slid, then the damage would be far less severe cosmetically and financially.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Thanks, it's been a swell steed indeed! The FZ-09 looks fun, but I don't like how it's only a one seater (though i guess it'd be great for a fun only machine). Let me know how you like it though, a couple of guys on the FZ6 forum have moved up to that and have been enjoying it quite well.

What do you have now?

Not so sure about it just being able to seat one as it does have a second set of foot pegs built into it for a passenger should one decide to hop on.  And the seat is long enough to accomodate a second body, although their comfort likely wasn't very near the top of the designers' priority list if you know what I mean.  Either way I"m fairly sure you could go two up on it just fine.

As far as what I have now, I am unfortunately kinda in between bikes, although like I said earlier I do keep an '08 Yamaha V-Star 250 in the garage that functions as a spare bike for when I teach BRCs.  My father and I teach the BRC independently of the state of Georgia's Department of Driver Services program (which also does the BRC), although we are of course both MSF-certified RiderCoaches as well as certified by the state to teach and grant license waivers as well.  So that said, we provide all the bikes, equipment, etc. when we offer our BRC, hence the fact that I keep one of our program's spare bikes in my garage.  Unfortunately lack of funds means that little bike is all I have regular access to at the moment, which tends to give me quite the sad face, but hey, what can ya do.  Any day now the wife will break and I'll squeeze another set of wheels in the garage.  Heh, that's the plan, anyway.
Edited by Bizzlenitch

What do you have now?

Not so sure about it just being able to seat one as it does have a second set of foot pegs built into it for a passenger should one decide to hop on.  And the seat is long enough to accomodate a second body, although their comfort likely wasn't very near the top of the designers' priority list if you know what I mean.  Either way I"m fairly sure you could go two up on it just fine.

As far as what I have now, I am unfortunately kinda in between bikes, although like I said earlier I do keep an '08 Yamaha V-Star 250 in the garage that functions as a spare bike for when I teach BRCs.  My father and I teach the BRC independently of the state of Georgia's Department of Driver Services program (which also does the BRC), although we are of course both MSF-certified RiderCoaches as well as certified by the state to teach and grant license waivers as well.  So that said, we provide all the bikes, equipment, etc. when we offer our BRC, hence the fact that I keep one of our program's spare bikes in my garage.  Unfortunately lack of funds means that little bike is all I have regular access to at the moment, which tends to give me quite the sad face, but hey, what can ya do.  Any day now the wife will break and I'll squeeze another set of wheels in the garage.  Heh, that's the plan, anyway.

Ah you're right it does! I only saw a couple pictures of it before and didn't notice the passenger pegs...and the passenger "seat" didn't look very accomodating :P

Yeah I saw you mentioned that (which is odd since you seem pretty anti 250 :P ), that's cool though. So you two do private lessons for some pocket change I guess as well as to help people get their licenses huh. Btw how does that work, do you have a whole bunch of waivers that you just sign and they're good?. I jumped right onto my Ninja after passing the riding course on a 200cc scooter

It's all good though, though oddly when I finally move out and get my own place/house, I'd like to pick up a Ninja300 or something smaller for gas mileage and fun. (maybe I'd even make it pretty sporty and actually try out a track day on it) and either keep my FZ6 or sell it to my dad since he really likes it (he has a '85 VFR700 and shares the same distaste for carburetors I do). Either way, here's to her coming around so you could get that FZ-09 :)

Nothing wrong with carbs... learning to work on them is easy and they do require maintenance... drain them in the winter and run them dry and then just fill and fire in spring...no issue. My buddy has a carbed R6 and its fast as hell....simple hop up mods.

I learned on a Honda 200 twin (early rebel) and you do outgrow a small bike rather quick...I moved from that right into a a nice 1980 Kawasaki kz650 still have it and ride it to this day. got it in 1990. It has been slightly modded and runs great and it's LOUD! added a 4-into-1 header and pulled the baffle...

I just this morning filled out the paper work for a new ZX1000r so we'll see. i figure at my age a new bike should be good and  it adds to the Splat factor LOL

Nothing wrong with carbs... learning to work on them is easy and they do require maintenance... drain them in the winter and run them dry and then just fill and fire in spring...no issue. My buddy has a carbed R6 and its fast as hell....simple hop up mods.

I learned on a Honda 200 twin (early rebel) and you do outgrow a small bike rather quick...I moved from that right into a a nice 1980 Kawasaki kz650 still have it and ride it to this day. got it in 1990. It has been slightly modded and runs great and it's LOUD! added a 4-into-1 header and pulled the baffle...

I just this morning filled out the paper work for a new ZX1000r so we'll see. i figure at my age a new bike should be good and  it adds to the Splat factor LOL

But I know they're inherently worse and archaic lol. Not that my Ninja gave me any problems with carb "problems", the choking and warming up to run like it should was getting old (especially my on 5 mile ride to work)

Lol that would be loud, both my sisters have licenses as well but no bikes (and ironically they took the BRC), but my one sister either wants a Triumph Bonneville (I think this'd be a bit much for her since she's small frame and hasn't gotten on a bike since the BRC) so I think a nice Rebel 250 would be nice for her.

MAN that's an upgrade! You're gonna probably be floored by the difference between that and your KZ haha.

It's odd, I love when people keep up old cars and bikes but I don't like outdated vehicle technology, especially when it's less efficient and dirtier to the point where drive/rideability gets affected.

Ah you're right it does! I only saw a couple pictures of it before and didn't notice the passenger pegs...and the passenger "seat" didn't look very accomodating :P

Yeah I saw you mentioned that (which is odd since you seem pretty anti 250 :P ), that's cool though. So you two do private lessons for some pocket change I guess as well as to help people get their licenses huh. Btw how does that work, do you have a whole bunch of waivers that you just sign and they're good?. I jumped right onto my Ninja after passing the riding course on a 200cc scooter

It's all good though, though oddly when I finally move out and get my own place/house, I'd like to pick up a Ninja300 or something smaller for gas mileage and fun. (maybe I'd even make it pretty sporty and actually try out a track day on it) and either keep my FZ6 or sell it to my dad since he really likes it (he has a '85 VFR700 and shares the same distaste for carburetors I do). Either way, here's to her coming around so you could get that FZ-09 :)

Yeah, we will do private lessons but our overhead means that for most folks that's not really a viable option, financially.  It more or less costs us the same to do it for one person or a full class of eight students so we mostly only teach the course to a full class.  Most folks are scared off when they hear how much it will cost them to have us do a completely private BRC where they're the only student but we have done a couple for a few folks.  To be able to give out the DDS waivers (which keeps our students from having to take the written and riding test when they go to DDS to get their license) we first had to go through a state program before they would sign off on us being basically an off-site license examiner.  Once (and if) the folks pass the course we record their current drivers license information and trasmit that, along with their scores, to the state's database and issue them a waiver showing course completion which they take to DDS within 90 days.  That waiver is basically verified against that information that we upload to DDS following their completion of the course and tells the DDS employees at whatever facility that choose to go to that they are to be issued a class M license as any testing requirements they normally would have to fulfill onsite have already been completed.

But our business is completely private other than that affiliation with GA DDS and obviously our affiliation with and certification by MSF as RiderCoaches, and as a business it is ran for profit, although we both are involved in this particular field because we love to ride and believe in the benefits of approaching the sport with a mindset toward common sense and safety.  Personally I enjoy helping others learn to ride and kinda have a passion for it, so that plays a large part in why I do it.  Getting paid to do something you love ain't bad at all.

And I'm definitely not anti 250, just realistic.  If you're gonna ride, you're gonna outgrow a 250, probably pretty quickly, and find yourself wanting a bit more.  It's almost a guaranteed inevitability.   :evilgrin:

Edited by Bizzlenitch