Buying a Motorcycle

Onion

BRC is mandatory in Florida for any motorcycle over 49cc, that's what I'm taking on the 26th. I'm definitely buying a used bike, they cost half as much used with less than 5k miles as a brand new one. Also, what are your thoughts on a CBR 250? They're lower, so they might fit me better. 

How's this for a helmet? I've done some searching around and I'm gonna go try some out tomorrow but definitely don't want to skimp. I've decided to go full face, and need something that breathes well because Florida summers get a bit toasty. http://www.amazon.com/Shark-Vision-R-BeCool-Motorcycle-Helmet/dp/B00CME157E/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1397444457&sr=1-5&keywords=shark+helmet

You just want that one because it say BeCool in the name LOL! 

BTW I will never ride on two wheels. Not that I can't its just I see what happens to the idiots as well as those that obey the rules of the road when others cannot see them.  I choose not to put my self into that position.  

Alright, you got me! :lol:

I used to have that point of view, but then I thought "how much worse can a bike be compared to what I'm driving right now..." The answer? Not that much, if at all. The roads are rarely busy here, so there's lower chances of incidents. I would never ride in Miami, though, it's absolutely hectic. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as the Ninja and CBR 250s go, they're both fantastic bikes for what they are and would be more than adequate (and enjoyable!) as beginner bikes.  Understand though that in all likelihood if you plan on getting into riding in a meaningful way chances are you will quickly find either choice rather limiting due to their lack of displacement/engine size.  Both are certainly capable and entertaining bikes but will struggle to provide you with the torque I would argue is necessary to ride safely at higher speeds (such as riding on interstates or expressways).  Unless it's a budget thing I would also consider those same, or similar, bikes in the 500cc range.  You would have ample room to grow with the bike as a rider and I don't necessarily buy into the "250cc for beginners 'cause it's safer" stuff that some folks might throw around.  At the end of the day the rider is responsible for the operation of the motorcycle; the bike is only going to respond to the control inputs it receives from the rider, regardless of engine size.  

:bah: My ninja 250 toodled along just fine at above highway speeds (not that it had much go after that lol) and it had great pick up to that point. Certainly to comparable or better than the majority of cars out there, it's definitely still got a healthy edge over them. I do wish there were more nice sport/standards in the 500cc range though, I know I'll never need or want bigger than my 600.

250s are still beast though, and it tickles me sometimes seeing videos like this one for the naysayers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz03sQeX02c

Onion, don't try being this guy though...you've got a long away to go, even I do, before this madness is possible lol. Just proof that, the rider makes the bike!

In all honesty, I just plan on puttering around and hypermiling to save money. :lol: I don't even beat on the Z anymore, I can't afford the gas.

Edit: That's an awesome video, I just finished watching.

Edited by Onion

In all honesty, I just plan on puttering around and hypermiling to save money. :lol: I don't even beat on the Z anymore, I can't afford the gas.

+1

That's why I have some buyers remorse on not getting the Ninja 300, it'd get better mileage, be faster , and be fuel injected (than the 250). But I settled on a used FZ6 instead and love it but know I could be getting much better mileage and it's not like I often use the 600cc's to their fullest...it just seems like wasted displacement sometimes while I still get the mileage hit. A liter bike would just be even worse, getting similar mileage to my car haha.

On that note though, I think the CBR gets better mileage than the Ninja (250) by a little bit .

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Ninja 300 is an awesome bike that you can probably keep for at least a year if you don't ride highway lots. The 250 is an amazing bike as well, and one of the most popular motorcycles EVER, but is down on power quite a bit so people usually have them for a few months before trading up.

Both have amazing resale value - about the only bikes besides Harleys that hold their value!

Also there is more to MPG then engine size gearing makes a big difference...my ZX14R 200+hp monster gets better MPG then my ZX6 did. On the highway I am cruising at 3500rpm doing almost 70 getting ~50mpg, when on the ZX6(geared in the popular -1/+2 for better acceleration) I was at ~6,500-7,000 to do the same speed and got around 45.

Edited by Puck

Don't get me wrong, 250cc's are fine machines and I didn't intend to imply that they weren't capable bikes.  But when you're moving along at 65+ mph and you are presented with a situation where you need the bike to get up and go, like, immediately, your smaller displacement machines just won't have the torque to do so in the fashion that a bike with more motor will.  If you're going to put a lot of miles on the bike on the interstate this is something I personally find important enough to at least take into consideration.  Obviously this is merely my opinion so ymmv.

That being said, as far as an around-town, in-the-city type bike goes, there's certainly plenty to be said for either a Ninja or CBR 250.  I put a lot of miles on one of my range's spare Yamaha V-Star 250s that I keep garaged and it's fantastic for scooting around town.  

Your best bet, if possible, would be to try to see if you could test drive bikes in multiple displacements and see what works for you.  In the end, as a brand new rider, though, it really is hard to go wrong with either of those bikes in their 250cc iterations.  Whatever route you end up taking just try to be safe out there and enjoy yourself.  Nothing quite like riding, imo.  Kinda just gets in your blood.

I have found that you outgrow a 250 pretty quick.  Friends that have bought them wanted a bigger bike within a few months.  I would start with a low key 600cc like a Yamaha YZF 600r or something comparable.  That is what I learned on, then upgraded to an R1.

Ninjas are a good starter, but people do tend to outgrow them quickly, mostly because of engine size. I also wouldn't worry about learning on a manual, that's how I learned to ride, and I'm still around :D

Buy the nicest bike you can afford, you wont regret it. Forget the beginner bike nonsense. If you end up with say, a hot 600cc modern sport bike, be aware that it wants to eat your face and treat it accordingly until you get good enough to push it harder. 

If you want something hot that wont kill you I would go with a Yamaha FZ6. This is the bike I learn for, I want one so damn bad.

Having road a Kawi 250 I have to say I am not really sure it's a good beginner bike. I would honestly suggest a bigger bike.

My first REAL bike was a 750 Yamaha Maxim, then I moved to a SECA 750. Big older bikes are nothing to be afraid of. They have very forgiving throttle responce and will really move if you want them to. They are quite heavy, even though I could pick mine up without too much effort but in all honesty a 550lb bike might not be the best first bike.