Looking for a new ride

Miek

American cars seem to have gotten their act together for the most part (Ford most of all) lately, but I've also noticed that in addition to cheaper replacement parts, they usually seem to be designed to be easier to work on too.

I hope that references anything newer than mine...

EASY to work on I'm literally rolling on the floor with laughter.

I think I'm just spoiled by my Saturns, my 1997 and now my 2001 (same exact platform, there was a slight modification they made to the piston design to make it run smoother but nothing else noteworthy) have been the cheapest and easiest cars I've ever had the pleasure of working on. My 1993 Cherokee was pretty straightforward too except for the rear plugs and I say that only because NOTHING trumps an inline 4 FWD's plug job for ease (compared to a V# FWD setup :sick: ). I guess since 4 out of 3 of my vehicles have been inlines...maybe it's just that inline motors are more simple haha. To be fair my first Jeep truck was a carb'd V6 and that was the worst POS ever to be cranked out of a factory

Edited by IVIYTH0S

lol my F150 gets 14mpg!  My last car was a '91 Integra that I had done a bunch to, but still got 33mpg.  

The build quality difference between the Fusion and Fiesta is going to be huge!  The Fiesta is the lightest and cheapest option that Ford puts out.

As a side note, my sister just bought a 2014 Accord LX last month for 22,000USD.

How did she do that? Flash her melons? lol

Nothing that drastic! just a good classic end-of-the-month deal.

I'm always impressed with my dear FOCUS that lovely Found On Road Dead machine...

C'mon panda it's First On Race Day! ;)

Tight doesn't even begin to describe some of the engine bays on new cars.

QFT!

American cars seem to have gotten their act together for the most part (Ford most of all) lately, but I've also noticed that in addition to cheaper replacement parts, they usually seem to be designed to be easier to work on too.

I hope that references anything newer than mine...

EASY to work on I'm literally rolling on the floor with laughter.

Depends on the car. My brother's Focus ZX3 is a pain in the ass, but my Mustang was so easy to work on. 

I'm always impressed with my dear FOCUS that lovely Found On Road Dead machine...

C'mon panda it's First On Race Day! ;)

I will die when that happens...not my baby.

Besides the little fixes it needed when I bought it (just needed some love) and the oh so EASE of fixing things...it does well.

I beat the snot out of this poor thing, just ask Waco, and for a 2003, she still brings in 30-33 mpg mixed driving. 

I am just as impressed with my Ford. I have an 1996 full size bronco and that thing kicks ass and gets...acceptable mileage. I have beat the shit snot out of it daily and it just come back for more. 

I drove a Chevrolet Cruze today, and it's my new favourite. It's got everything I want and then some. It's got more power than my car and is way more responsive by a long shot, and they've managed to give it better efficiency. The shifting was silky smooth too. The rough transmission is my main gripe about my Fiesta.

I ran numbers, and the trade-in for my car would pay off my loan + $1200. Chev is also offering 0% financing for 5 years right now, too. I'm gonna have to think on this one.

Thanks again to everyone that's helped out. I'll be sure to post what I wind up with, whenever that may be. I have warranty on my current car until December, so there's no rush to make a purchase.

Edited by Miek

Cruze is a nice and solid car, I wanted one forever at one point. Definitely smaller than a midsize, but if you like it, they are a good value overall for an American vehicle.

Be mindful that a refresh/redesign of the Cruze is coming soon (As far as I know, for the 2015 model year?). So once it comes out, you may want to swoop up a new 2014 or, even better, a fresh off of the lease 2012 or 2013. Dealers will certainly be itching to get rid of the old model.

My friend worked at Chevrolet (as auto tech) and he hated almost everything there (quality wise) but even he gave a nod to the Cruze when a mutual friend of ours got one. They have bizzare transmissions that learn their owner, which felt weird driving, but I guess after some time with someone they'd feel more normal (she bought it new). Felt smooth just...indecisive lol. She got amazing features for the money though!!