DVR?

Onion

My apartment complex has DirecTV. We don't have DVR boxes or anything, just a coax cable that hooks up to the TV. Not being an avid TV watcher, I don't know if this is possible, but I want to get a DVR box to hook up that coax cable to and record shows. The reason I don't watch much TV is because I HATE commercials. Is there anything I could do?

The coax plug goes straight to my TV and I use the TV remote to change channels.

The apartment has a coax female in the wall, I bought a cable and hooked it up. Same for my roommate. No boxes at all.

Edited by Onion

Are you sure you're getting DirecTV then?

I always figured the 'built in tuner's that TVs have was for cable only.

Are there commercial grade satellite boxes for businesses/apartments that send the data to like a hundred TVs?

How does it know which channel you want?

My mind is blown...

I have absolutely no idea. All I know is that the management said it's DirectTV. :(

Do you get non-standard channels though?

Even if mgmt said you get DTV, you may need to actually order a box from them to fully enjoy it, which you can then request a DVR one.

I have absolutely no idea. All I know is that the management said it's DirectTV. :(

Do you get non-standard channels though?

Even if mgmt said you get DTV, you may need to actually order a box from them to fully enjoy it, which you can then request a DVR one.

Yeah, I get hd channels and stuff like travel channel and HBO.

So your apartment complex has DirecTV, correct? Pretty much they pipe that signal to every apartment, which is why you can simply hook up a coax between the wall and your TV to get DTV. My last apartment complex was the same way. You may be able to get a TV tuner card or even Tivo to have the DVR functionality, though I imagine the tuner card is a lot cheaper investment if it doesn't work out.

Tivo you have to pay monthly charge for it.. Is there a guide option where you see a list of channels that shows the what shows they are showiing? If you have one, that should tell you if it is direct tv?