SteamOS, are you going to try it?

neddamttocs

37 members have voted

1. 1. SteamOS, are you going to try it?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • Other

I wish I wouldn't have given my HTPC to my father. If I still had it, it would definitely have SteamOS installed on it now. I'm sure he's making better use of it gaming anyways.

Edited by FUZi0N

I have a HTPC which would be nice for it, but if its just plain old Big Picture with no extras then not worth it for me. If they are able to start integrating 3rd party apps into Steam Big Picture then I might start looking at it.

I actually did install it to my vm, after taking 15 minutes to install it updated itself, screwed up the video card driver and I had a black screen. So now my vote is no/never, isn't worth the hassell. :yucky:

I'd only use it if it was fully compatible with every game on Steam. And I believe I read in the past that it was to be used to stream games to a TV? I have zero interest in that. I'd want something that could be a free/cheap alternative to Windows.

I like that they are saying it is for use in living rooms, but most games I play I prefer a mouse and keyboard, and to do that properly you need a desk. So then I would have to use a controller, and that means most games will not work. At that point I would just buy a new console. So my vote is no.

Ran Steam OS for a bit on a franken-computer in the living room..  q6600, gtx460, 8GB of 800MHz RAM that were all lying around collecting dust.  It worked fine, but the drivers weren't the best (I imagine they'll eventually fix this.).  Didn't get very good frame rates in most games.  Out of my 250-ish steam games, a respectable 78 were linux playable.

Ended up just modding a very basic windows install to boot straight to Big Picture.  All my games run fine now and I even have the Steam Music beta.

tl;dr
If you want SteamOS, just use a minimalistic Windows install in BP Mode.