CPU FAN SET UP

I am nearly complete on my upgrade but have run into a problem. I'm using my trusty old Thermalright True 120 on a new Asus Z87 Pro & 4770k and using a 120 x 25 mm CPU cooler fan it fouls on the RAM. My question is, if I put the fan on the other side of the cooler to function as a puller, will it cool adequately ?  THE CPU is stock. The fan RPM is 1800 and 55 CFM.

I could use a Scythe slim 12mm fan but the reviews are not good.

Any advice ?

Thanks,  Buster.

Go for it.  Like Spike said, some say it works better.  I tried it and my temps went up by a degree, so basically the same.

I had one case where setting up the cpu fan as a pull fan put it right up next to the rear case fan.  Because the cpu fan was a better fan, the airflow was being blocked by the crappy case fan that wasn't being temp/speed controlled.  I got better temps by removing the case fan, clearing the way for the air to get out of the case.

Thanks chaps. I will give it a try. I have 2 120mm fans exhausting on the case top, I will leave the one above the CPU cooler as it is and the other I will flip so its blowing air in, hopefully getting some good airflow action going on around the CPU with the 2 120mm bottom & front case fans helping by sucking in. With the 120mm at the rear exhaust position, I should be OK. I have RealTemp so I will keep an eye on it.

If you have a rear exhaust fan and your CPU fan is facing rear, flip both top to intake. An intake and exhaust right next to each other NEVER works out well. Use your front and top as intake, create massive positive air flow and let the rear fan handle the exhaust.

If you have a rear exhaust fan and your CPU fan is facing rear, flip both top to intake. An intake and exhaust right next to each other NEVER works out well. Use your front and top as intake, create massive positive air flow and let the rear fan handle the exhaust.

Interesting post ComputerEd, just been reading up on the benefit of negative case pressure !

As ComputerEd said, you need to make sure the exhaust for from the heatsink fan can find a way outside the case. That will keep the heat from building up.

Once that's done, try to route airflow intake to the heatsink. Having a second fan pushing can help with that. And the Scythe slim 12mm is a great thin fan I use when airflow is restricted. It's not better than thicker fans, but it's better than no fan at all.

As ComputerEd said, you need to make sure the exhaust for from the heatsink fan can find a way outside the case. That will keep the heat from building up.

Once that's done, try to route airflow intake to the heatsink. Having a second fan pushing can help with that. And the Scythe slim 12mm is a great thin fan I use when airflow is restricted. It's not better than thicker fans, but it's better than no fan at all.

offtopic

HE LIVES!

offtopic

HE LIVES!

I'm not Frankenstein.... :)

offtopic

HE LIVES!

I'm not Frankenstein.... :)

oh rly? :rolleyes:

Just that you were banned for some reason and have a miraculous return sounds pretty Frankenstein like :teehee:

Back on topic !  Thanks for the input chaps, appreciated. I have just ordered two S-Flex 120mm, 75 CFM, 1900 RPM fans. One as a heatsink puller fan and the other as a rear case exhaust. I want to keep those two matched so there is no conflict with airflow through them.

One question remains, these two fans are non PWM, if I plug the rear case exhaust fan into the MOBO CH Fan 1 header, will the MOBO throttle it in synch with the CPU heatsink fan connected to the MOBO CPU fan header ?

After a lot of reading up, there seems to be two schools of thought on positive and negative case pressure so I will leave the two top fans exhausting for now, note the temps and then flip them to intake and note the temps again and go with the best result.

Edited by Busterbvi