HD Radeon 5970 help needed

When I first got the card I was idling at like 60C. I removed the heatsink, applied thermal grease to everwhere the pads (kind of) were, then reinstalled the heatsink. Then the card would idle closer to like 30-40C and under max load I wouldn't let it get any higher than 70C based on how it was clocked. The problem I had (what I understood it as) is that when I overclock it, it throttles back and the card doesn't get enough voltage to run on which causes problems. It would run flawlessly under max load but as soon as I turned of furmark/kombustor I would have artifacts all over the place.

Would it be helpful to know that whenever it crashes and I try to boot windows normally, I have ended up resetting the BIOS just to get the BIOS to load on start up and then try to boot. It's not booting at the moment, which makes me question as to whether I should just get a hammer. I'll try fiddling with it later. I've got a media center live disc that I should be able to do something with.

Would it be helpful to know that whenever it crashes and I try to boot windows normally, I have ended up resetting the BIOS just to get the BIOS to load on start up and then try to boot. It's not booting at the moment, which makes me question as to whether I should just get a hammer. I'll try fiddling with it later. I've got a media center live disc that I should be able to do something with.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried another video card in the system to see if it still behaves like this? I'd be curious to know if the system is still unstable after switching out the video card.

What are VRM?

Voltage regulator module - essentially the only reason 4870X2s and 5970s die and are limited on overclocking.

GPU-Z can monitor the temperatures of them. Just try to log in and fire up GPU-Z. The temperatures tab should have multiple temperature readouts for the various VRMs on the card.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried another video card in the system to see if it still behaves like this? I'd be curious to know if the system is still unstable after switching out the video card.

I don't have an extra card, but I'll see if my dad has my old Geforce 6 series thatIi can swap in and try out.

What are VRM?

Voltage regulator module - essentially the only reason 4870X2s and 5970s die and are limited on overclocking.

GPU-Z can monitor the temperatures of them. Just try to log in and fire up GPU-Z. The temperatures tab should have multiple temperature readouts for the various VRMs on the card.

Thank you, I don't have GPU-z installed so I don't know. It's not booting now- perhaps Sunday I can fiddle with it.

• 9 months later...

I picked up an old GeForce 6800XT to swap and try out, but I ended up purchasing a 6970 before I ever got to that. I'm running stable again. I'm out of HDD space on my system drive and need to get an SSD in the ~250GB range. I'm looking for the VRM temp in GPU-z. I've only found GPU temp, and then GPU temp #1,2,3. Are these other GPU temps the VRMs?