Phil

Burning Win 7 .ISO With Mods

Themes and all of the 'sample' movies, pictures, music etc. can be removed too.

IIRC you just need to leave the Aero theme there, everything else there can be deleted.

Unfortunately all of that stuff is embedded in the install.wim file.

I did a work around though, I dl'd RTSeven and used it to remove some stuff from install.wim.  Like .net framework, and as you said, all the useless pictures and wallpapers.  I did leave the Aero theme.  I just finished converting it to .iso and burning it, have to wait to later to try it.

Previously I tried using UtraISO to compress the file, but it outputed a .isz file.  I tried to burn it anyways but apparently the burn software uncompresses it back to .iso and it was still too big.  LOL I've spent way too much time on this.  :)

If you go into your sources folder and delete everything but install.wim, boot.wim and setup.exe . The install will work fine but you just can't do a live install from within windows but I'm assuming you'd be wiping the machine clear anyway so it's fine.

If you go into your sources folder and delete everything but install.wim, boot.wim and setup.exe . The install will work fine but you just can't do a live install from within windows but I'm assuming you'd be wiping the machine clear anyway so it's fine.

Thanks, but I guess I'm going to punt.  My DVD wouldn't boot.  I ordered a 16GB flash drive that will be here Thursday, I think I'll try to put the full version on it and make it bootable.

When I ran RT7, it put a bunch of the Win 7 files on my desktop.  The Sources file was smaller enough to get me where I wanted to go so I swapped that one out and ignored the rest.  Maybe I should have swapped all of the files made by RT7?

I would honestly save all the files RT builds for you and make an ISO out of it

I would honestly save all the files RT builds for you and make an ISO out of it

Thanks for the input, I'm going to try it.

Worst case, I have a 764mb Windows 7 install ISO I can send/upload/somehow get to you

Got some blank DVD's and burned 7 with all of the files created by RT7, no boot. Made a bootable thumb drive, no boot. So I double clicked on setup.exe and it installed from within a running Win 7, I didn't know that was possible. It installed without asking for a key, which is how it usually works with OEM, so far so good.  Went online to validate and got the dreaded "invalid product key" message. WTF?

That means the install had it's own product key and it used that one for your install, so you can call Microsoft and see if they'll change it to your qem key, which I doubt. As wev said you should just dl the same w7 as you have and use your own key to install it. ps- are you sure your pc is set in the bios to boot off a cd or usb drive ?

Edited by SpikeSoprano

That means the install had it's own product key and it used that one for your install, so you can call Microsoft and see if they'll change it to your qem key, which I doubt. As wev said you should just dl the same w7 as you have and use your own key to install it. ps- are you sure your pc is set in the bios to boot off a cd or usb drive ?

Yes, the boot order was set correctly.  I do have the correct Win 7 for the unit (this time) and am using the COA on the case.  The only thing I can think of is maybe the computer has some kind of restrictions coming from a business environment.  I will attempt to validate by phone, maybe I'll have better luck this time since I have the correct (OEM) version.

Still can't understand why it doesn't work for you man. I use those exact downloads posted by Wev for all of my installs, whether it is a key from an old laptop or even the OEM versions I have bought for myself over the years. They all load up and activate just fine even though I have the OEM versions handy I just prefer to load those one's to a thumb drive since it's faster. Unless of course you are telling them that it is an OEM key when you call, that may change things but I have never been asked otherwise.

Well this is embarrassing. :blush:  It didn't validate using the stored info from the install, so I went with "change verification number", again, but this time I noticed that I had been misreading a "G" as "6". I typed in the right number and it verified. In my defense my eyes aren't that young anymore and the numbers on the sticker are really, really tiny, lol.  :doh: