Pokemon

Black64

So believe it or not, but I have never played a pokemon game, ever. :doh:  But I want to know which game(s) to start with. Is there a story to follow over the span of every game, or doesn't matter? I still have almost all of my older systems, so you can't recommend something I can't play. :woot:

Thanks!

Story: Be the best there ever was.

Start with which game: almost any game will suffice, although i can highly recommend heartgold/soulsilver to be your first games. After that get black/white 2.

The difference between 2 games of the same gen is usually which team the bad guys are and some pokemon you can't catch in the other version (small details, legendaries are the usual pokemon you cannot catch if you have a specific kind of game)

Avoid diamond/pearl/platinum like the plague, they are horrible lol.

If you are familiar with the concept of pokemon and you have become a master, try the pokemon hacks from drayano, they are amazing.

Being a nostalgia-based nerd I will definitely say to start with the originals (Red version, green, yellow etc.) if you can stomach the Gameboy 'Color' graphics and if not then starting with the remakes, Fire Red and Leaf Green.

If those don't pique your interest then don't bother with any of the others, then again I'd say don't bother with any of the others anyways as they get progressivley more silly in my opinion.

If you want to go further I'd go up to Gold and Silver (introduced new species to capture and a multitude of new features/areas) and stop there.

Emulators are your friends

Edited by Andrewr05

War recommends Black or White 2, but I'd say to play Black or White 1 and then get the sequels to continue the story. They're the only games with an actual direct sequel, so it wouldn't do any good to play the second before the first. The rest of them don't have a major interconnected story; just the Pokemon.

Otherwise, I'd go with HeartGold/SoulSilver for sure (my personal favorites), FireRed/LeafGreen (emulators, like Andrew said), and X/Y if you have a 3DS. Plus Black/White 1 and 2.

They come in pairs (most even in a triple set), but you don't need to buy both unless you're super hardcore into it. The paired games are almost identical in every way, except in the types of Pokemon that appear. So some Pokemon will only appear in HeartGold, while others only in SoulSilver. The same applies for the main legendary Pokemon, as you can only catch whatever is displayed on the game's cover (except for Red/Blue/FireRed/LeafGreen, as those are starters).

The colors are just a way to distinguish the generations. Red/Blue/Yellow for Gen I, Gold/Silver/Crystal for Gen II, Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald for Gen III, Diamond/Pearl/Platinum for Gen IV, Black/White 1 & 2 for Gen V, and X/Y for Gen VI.

So yeah, start with Fire Red anyways...

:P

He has an Nvidia card, he should start with leaf green then :teehee: (best reason ever to pick a version)

Yeah let me tell you how Charmander (AMD)'s fire will hastily doom your Bulbasaur (Nvidia) :teehee:

So yeah, start with Fire Red anyways...

:P

He has an Nvidia card, he should start with leaf green then :teehee: (best reason ever to pick a version)

Yeah let me tell you how Charmander (AMD)'s fire will hastily doom your Bulbasaur (Nvidia) :teehee:

Yo charmander got nothing against my mighty sleep powder :3

AND I CAN PICK SQUIRTLE IF I WANT TO.