Crow47

Problems with games; seems I have to constantly verify/redownload

As the title says, I'm having a problem with Steam and Origin at the moment where a lot of games are becoming fragmented. It seems that more often than not, when I try to open a game the game for some reason has an issue and will not launch. So I verify the files, and usually some files are redownloaded. This solves my issue temporarily. Usually I have to go through the same process once I go back to play a game.

I should note that I have the majority of my games on a storage drive, not the C: drive. The games I'm having trouble with are on the storage drive. I've checked the fragmentation (good), as well as the SMART health (also good). This is a fairly recent install on my machine so I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on reinstalling Windows so soon. 

Have you changed the SATA cable on that drive?  Sounds to me more like file corruption than fragmentation.

If it were me I'd change out the SATA cable, double check to make sure that the power connection is firmly seated and then do a longer duration disk health check.

Also check that storage drive for viruses, malware, trojans etc.

I would also try an extended disk check, my 500GB drive would pass the quick test and SMART test, but would fail the extended test towards the end.

Reset your OC if you have one. It's unlikely it's the disk if it passes health checks.

You could do a disk health check with HD Tune to verify (use the regular test, fast never catches anything).

Have you changed the SATA cable on that drive?  Sounds to me more like file corruption than fragmentation.

If it were me I'd change out the SATA cable, double check to make sure that the power connection is firmly seated and then do a longer duration disk health check.

Also check that storage drive for viruses, malware, trojans etc.

That's an interesting idea that I hadn't considered: the cable. I'm using the included drive sleds and cables that came with my case, so it almost seems possible that that could be an issue, as my SSD uses a more conventional mounting method. I'll check that out, thanks!

Well, after reinstalling Windows (kinda wanted to do that anyways), I got to a point where I could test the games I've been having issues with. This time as an extra measure I installed the game to a different drive just to see what would happen. Funny enough, the exact same problem I've been having happened again. So the good news is, probably not my drive. Bad news is, the games I paid on Steam aren't gonna work on my system. Oh well :(

As for the problem with Origin, I'll have to do some more testing to figure out if I'm still having the issue there.

Edited by Crow47

Are you overclocked? Have you tried different SATA cables? Have you run stability tests to ensure that you aren't corrupting them as you write them?

Are you overclocked? Have you tried different SATA cables? Have you run stability tests to ensure that you aren't corrupting them as you write them?

No, I'm not overclocked, and no, I haven't tried different SATA cables. I'm not sure what you mean by running stability tests for stability tests with this issue. You mean like a HDD sector scan?

For the record, the games I was having problems with were Fallout: New Vegas, World in Conflict (which upon further inspection has the same issue on my laptop), and Crysis 3. So far all the other games are fine.