Videocard ASIC quality thread (POST YOURS HERE!)

Still a nice card!

So what is the point in water cooling? Would it get me over this wall?

I've pushed this card as hard as I can and have not hit a thermal wall.

I'm currently running a nice overclock and its not making much noise.

Edited by feetfats

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On your card probably not much. I run into them that just wont go any further than what they will regardless of voltage or cooling. Have CPU's like that as well. Have my 4960X under water and 4.4Ghz is it, period end of story its not going above that stable.

On your card probably not much. I run into them that just wont go any further than what they will regardless of voltage or cooling. Have CPU's like that as well. Have my 4960X under water and 4.4Ghz is it, period end of story its not going above that stable.

Ok thanks.

NVIDIA cards that have Boost, along with temperature throttling and the stock BIOS with set power limits, it doesn't reflect the true potential overclockability of a card based on the ASIC until you modify the BIOS.

The same thing with temperature throttling on AMD cards and voltage limits.

I guess the ongoing theory is, the higher the ASIC (closer to 100%), the closer to specifications the circuitry is, thus you get the lower voltages required for a set clock speed. Basically, the card is more efficient, so it's better for air cooling since it meets the specified clock speeds at a lower voltage.

The lower the ASIC, the card isn't as efficient, so watercooling is recommended because more voltage is needed, thus driving up temperatures, which could cause issues like temperature throttling on air.

Most people assume that lower ASIC means better overclockability, but that's just speculation.

In my opinion, ASIC has no bearing on overclockability potential. Overcockability potential is based on the GPU, and the GPU alone. The best way to test for this is to find a graphics card with close to 100% ASIC, modify the BIOS, and find the most stable overclocks and log the voltage. Then, remove the GPU, put it on a card that has something like 60% ASIC, and see how it compares. My assumption is that the GPU will reach the same overclocked clock speeds, but it will need a higher voltage to get there.

Edited by El_Capitan

Asus ---7970 DCUII---63.0%---925MHz/1375MHZ --- 1125MHz/1500Mhz~1.25V ---feetfats

BF4 Ultra @ 1080p multiplayer stable.  

Valley score is 1977 @ 47.3 fps 1080p highest settings.

Very good cooling on this particular card. ~66c max temp @ 42% which is not very noisy at all.

I hit a serious voltage wall for the core at about 1160 mhz. Took it up to 1.4v and it still would not stop with the artifacts. This card was a pain to get voltage unlocked.

Thanks! One of the few to use my template, bonus points for you! Makes it easy to just throw it in!

Still a nice card! 

Indeed, my 7950 was my favorite AMD card I've ever owned, blew me away! (obviously the 7970 after that was nice but the 7950 had a high ASIC so it ran really cool and quiet)

The irony that I had the best ASIC in the AMD cards and the worst in the NVIDIA cards now :lol:

I have two Zotec gtx 980's One of the has the ASCI at 75.1 the other is 70.5. Also the lower ASCI card is the lower clock speed card.

Thanks, could are they overclocked and if so could you post the stock and overclocked rates as well as voltages so I could add them to the list. Thanks!

Template to make it easier for ya, I filled in what I could from what you said :)

ZOTAC ---GTX980---75.1%---STOCK CLOCKS~Voltage--- OVERCLOCKS~Voltage- --dling

ZOTAC ---GTX980---70.5%---STOCK CLOCKS~Voltage--- OVERCLOCKS~Voltage- --dling

Edited by IVIYTH0S

NVIDIA ---GTX TITAN X---81.1%---STOCK CLOCKS~Voltage--- OVERCLOCKS~Voltage- --Waco

NVIDIA ---GTX 780---65.1%---STOCK CLOCKS~Voltage--- OVERCLOCKS~Voltage- --Waco

Haven't overclocked them yet. :P

NVIDIA ---GTX TITAN X---81.1%---STOCK CLOCKS~Voltage--- OVERCLOCKS~Voltage- --Waco

NVIDIA ---GTX 780---65.1%---STOCK CLOCKS~Voltage--- OVERCLOCKS~Voltage- --Waco

Haven't overclocked them yet. :P

No problem, what are their stock voltages and all?

I'll try to remember to update with them. :)

No rush...the sudden cold weather in my area has made me lazy lol. Though in my defense even with me looking up the stock clocks myself, the voltage would likely be altered based on their personal ASIC values.