Stability Issues OCing at 4.6ghz i7 4770K

Apoc77

Unless you delid, live in a freezer or run the chip at 1.1v, run stock speeds you are not going to hit 70C or below under a constant 100% load such as LinX,Prime 95 or even F@H imposes on the cores when running an AIO cooler. I have mounted my liquid cooling in every conceivable orientation thinking that would be the problem but still thermals generated by the core are the main problem. The smaller dense core just does not have enough surface area to shed the heat it generates.    

So after reading a bit, I think the Cache ratio is the Ring Ratio or (Uncore). ideally want to be within 300mhz of your CPU freq. I couldn't get mine past 4300 on the cache without it crashing (1.2v). I would set it to 43 and 1.2v, see what happens.

edit: 3900 is stock for cache, I don't know how you managed to boot at 4.6ghz on the cpu, than again these haswell chips are tricky.

Okay thanks, I will try playing with that

You know what, after playing with the CPU Cache ratio I believe it is the same. However I can shave some degrees off the CPU by drastically loweing it.

I don't know why that works if mr.bluecow cant lower it, but it sure doesn't mess with my OC...

I dunno..

You know what, after playing with the CPU Cache ratio I believe it is the same. However I can shave some degrees off the CPU by drastically loweing it.

I don't know why that works if mr.bluecow cant lower it, but it sure doesn't mess with my OC...

I dunno..

hmm I never tried lower than stock 3900 . It just seems werid to want to underclock something.

After playing around with the cache ratio, I just can't keep it stable at the 4.6ghz I think I might have to get a better water cooling system or get out the 46DB super beast fans (jet engines).

At the stock 3.9 GHz i get 63C on Prime95 blended test for half an hour hasn't crashed yet, I shall see how long it goes before crashing.

I'm not going to delid the CPU I don't want to wreck anything lol.

How much would I have to pay to get a really good special or custom cooling system that is really compact that will fit in my little case and super chill my CPU so I can get it overclocked to the 4.6ghz and get it stable?

I'm also using a 700 watt PSU, could my stability problems be coming from lack of power?