Stability Issues OCing at 4.6ghz i7 4770K

Apoc77

Hello everyone, my name is Dan. I'm not a total Newb at overclocking, but wouldn't call myself an expert by any means! So was hoping you folks could help give me advice to make my new computer stable. I am mostly having trouble with turning it on once it has turned off, and also keeping it stable for more than 30 mins while doing full load stress tests and stability tests.

I just bought a new desktop gaming computer a couple months ago, here is the list of components:

- i7 4770k socket 1150 CPU overclocking to 4.6 GHz at 36C idle/89C load
- Asus mATX maximus VI Gene mobo
- G.Skill 2 x 8GB DDR3 RAM - XMP 2400MHz 10-12-12-31 timings
- OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SSD (OS Drive)
- Gigabyte GHZ Edition HD7970 3GB video card
- Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
- COOLIT closed circuit water cooling kit (1" radiator with 2 x Noctua NF-S12A PWN fans push/pull setup) 1 fan mounted externaly on top of case
- Silverstone mATX case with 3 - 120mm SilenX thermistor fans, and 2 - 80mm SilenX green LED fans
- Green LED light mod strip

post-131501-0-52445200-1393727230_thumb.jpg

So I'm pretty happy with results of the overclock except for the fact that sometimes I turn on my computer and it starts to turn on, then it restarts and then turns off before getting to the POST screen, then if you press the power button again it turns on for a second then turns off, then if you turn on again sometimes it goes to the BIOS and says overclock failed please enter setup, but other times it boots to windows. It is pretty random though since sometimes there is no problem at all with turning computer on, and sometimes it only takes one quick auto restart it does then it boots just fine. Also I would like to get it a little more stable during stress tests and full load tests/benchmarks. Most of the time I can't do a Wprime benchmark for 1024M prime numbers, 32M primes works no problem and fast (5.721 seconds) but 1024M my computer sometimes restarts half way through the benchmark.
I don't seem to be getting any stability problems while gaming (splintercell blacklist) or running other benchmarks, mostly the benchmark tests I have a problem with are: passmark burn in test, prime95, and few other stress test software I tried that I can't remember what they were off the top of my head
I also have this strange bit of lag once windows boots and go to the log in screen, I can't use my mouse or my keyboard for about 3-5 seconds, I've never seen this before, my keyboard (Razer) green LED backlit keys arent even lit up for a few seconds, once they turn on i can use my keyboard and mouse. Kind of wierd since it should be pretty fast booting up from a fast SSD like the Vertex 4

Here is some more info of my current overclock:

BCLK Frequency 100.2MHz
Ratio Limit x46
CPU Core Voltage 1.353125 V
CPU Cache Voltage 1.226 V
CPU System Agent Voltage 1.128125 V
Initial CPU Input Voltage (AUTO setting 1.712 V)
DRAM Voltage 1.65V

So many settings in that BIOS, it's kind of crazy, let me know if you need some more info

Thank you very much, hoping to get some great advice from you guys to get my computer stable!

Edited by Apoc77

What kind of load are placing on the system to get your load temperatures? 

Try running Prime 95's blend test for a few hours to let you really know where your system is stable. 1.35V on an AIO water cooler is a bit on the impossible end of the spectrum at least with both of my chips. 

What ring ratio are you running? 

Did you try the 4.6Ghz pre set in the BIOS?  This one works pretty well as a base line that you can work from. 

I got the temp from CPUID HW Monitor while doing one of the stress tests, I think it was the passmark burn in test. I just tried p95 short test and the temps when into the 93/94C range and I stopped it cause I was worried... my fan on top of my case is leaking a bit of air and not directing it through the radiator so I'm going to try and seal it better to get better cooling tonight.

I did try the auto overclock CPU level up thingy in the BIOS right away to hopefully get a quick easy overclock... but I couldn't even get into windows it would restart just before the login screen :(

I will look into the ring ratio setting and get back to you with that and temps and attemp at the p95 blended test

Thanks

May want to try dropping the multi for the Ring Bus/Uncore portion of the chip. Lots with argue that it should match the core speed of the CPU but in my experience it can help stabilize some Haswell chips and after reading a few articles where people have tested it (and trying it out myself) I would give dropping it 300-500mhz below core speed a try.  This WILL reduce your cache speed, but you wont see much if any of a difference if any real world.

As for your temps, if those are synthetic stress test load numbers I wouldn't be too worried, but 89C is getting very close to the 100C throttle point and I personally don't like running 24/7 with loads much over 70C.  I base that off the logic that sure it's designed to run up to 100C, but it wasn't designed to run 100C overvolted taking an OC beating so I try to give CPUs breathing room. A BIG boost can be deliding the 22nm CPUs and replacing the crap thermal paste intel uses under the IHS.  It's actually fairly easy to do and wont cost much to do it right (I've spent $12 on the 4 CPUs I've done with load temps reductions between 8 and 15C) Worth considering anyway.

Try running Prime 95's blend test for a few hours to let you really know where your system is stable. 1.35V on an AIO water cooler is a bit on the impossible end of the spectrum at least with both of my chips.

no kidding . At 1.25v I'm hitting 90c with a H100i . At 1.35 you must be hittin 90+ . Also if prime 95 doesn't pass a few hours than it's not stable . my guess if it doesn't crash often than your not putting a heavy load on the CPU until the benchmarks.

no kidding . At 1.25v I'm hitting 90c with a H100i . At 1.35 you must be hittin 90+ . Also if prime 95 doesn't pass a few hours than it's not stable . my guess if it doesn't crash often than your not putting a heavy load on the CPU until the benchmarks.

90C with the H100i...when I had mine under the H100 4.4 with 1.3v I never topped 80C (I still havent gotten around to redoing the IHS on this 4770K) you might REALLY want to consider remounting the IHS as that just seems high to me. Mine's 1.25v right now using an Antec Kuhler H620 with a better fan topping at around 82C and the H100i is a MUCH better cooler (it's on my 4930K right now)

Okay, I wish I knew what the other stress test software I used a couple months ago...

you were right my temps would be way higher, prime 95 runs about 10 seconds and I get a blue screen of death!

The temps must go into the mid 90C+ area but cant say for sure since it stops polling temps and freezes and then crashes

I can't find the ring ratio settings in my BIOS, way too many settings and menus and sub menus, i looked but couldnt find it in there... is it called anything else? I guess I'll try to find uncore/ring bus info? I hate how many options are in the BIOS these days haha I miss the old days of a few items!

A couple months ago I ran prime 95 for 12 hours no problems, Keep in mind I was using louder fans that was cooling on my radiator a lot better a couple months ago when I built the computer and was testing the overclock, but recently got the 2 of the noctua fans in there and wanted to see if I could make it more quiet and still have the 4.6ghz  overclock, could be that I will need to put in the better fans to keep 4.6ghz OC

90C with the H100i...when I had mine under the H100 4.4 with 1.3v I never topped 80C (I still havent gotten around to redoing the IHS on this 4770K) you might REALLY want to consider remounting the IHS as that just seems high to me. Mine's 1.25v right now using an Antec Kuhler H620 with a better fan topping at around 82C and the H100i is a MUCH better cooler (it's on my 4930K right now)

Not all 4770k are equal :) I get around 90c for both the H80 and H100. I have repasted things many times over (part of my job to retest things ....alot...)

edit: I guess I should mention I had the settings on balanced, i'm sure at max speeds, it would be better but than I couldn't handle the noise.

at the top of the main BIOS menu it said

target cache speed 3907mhz

here are some more settings:

CPU core ratio: sync all cores:

all cores set to 46

Min CPU cache ratio (my setting is set to auto) can type in a value

Min CPU cache ratio (my setting is set to auto) can type in a value

Should i set the Min/Max CPU cache ratios to like 41 mayebe???

If my I can't even get 10 seconds of prime 95, which voltages should I increase to get more stability? or should I be looking at better cooling first?

So after reading a bit, I think the Cache ratio is the Ring Ratio or (Uncore). ideally want to be within 300mhz of your CPU freq. I couldn't get mine past 4300 on the cache without it crashing (1.2v). I would set it to 43 and 1.2v, see what happens.

edit: 3900 is stock for cache, I don't know how you  managed to boot at 4.6ghz on the cpu, than again these haswell chips are tricky.

So after reading a bit, I think the Cache ratio is the Ring Ratio or (Uncore). ideally want to be within 300mhz of your CPU freq. I couldn't get mine past 4300 on the cache without it crashing (1.2v). I would set it to 43 and 1.2v, see what happens.

edit: 3900 is stock for cache, I don't know how you  managed to boot at 4.6ghz on the cpu, than again these haswell chips are tricky.

Correct

I would try manually setting the ratio though as the in "auto" trim MOST boards will try and match the core speed, and with 3.9 being the stock turbo frequency that may be all it's referencing with the 3907mhz worth a try anyway.

Going back to my comment on BlueCow's 4770K, I don't run mine on performance either bc like you said...she gets a little loud, learned that the first night I had it on the 3570K playing around. Just to be clear my comment was based on the paste between the CPU core and heat spreader NOT your usual thermal paste application.  Every Haswell/Ivy CPU that I've had run extra hot doing a delid and reapplication of that paste (I've been using Cool Lab Ultra Liquid metal on the core) and reseating the heat spreader has brought it back in line with other CPUs.   In other words the variation in temps at the same voltage gets MUCH smaller after the same model CPUs have the work done in my experience.  

I really need to get on it and do the 4770K in this PC Problem is I don't have my preferred tools to do it, only an old rusty vice and a hammer (I do NOT like either of the two most popular methods of box cutter or vise and hammer, I use either two blocks or vise only though I have tried 4 ways now lol). I was also planning on at some point making a guide and it's the last chip I have that needs it (though I'm sure many other people will get me to do theirs for them).

I really need to delid my other 4770k , but it may become a $300 mistake . The main one is in the test rig and I can't mess with it or all my temp data will become useless .