Sign in to follow this  
SpeedCrazy

Web Hosting

Hey Guys,

I'm looking to get some cheap web hosting to hold a blog and mess around on. Now being a cheapskate i am looking at all the really cheap options. However before i spend any money i want some opinions on the options i am looking at.

What i'd like:

As much space and bandwidth as i can for the money. My blog will probably be rather pic heavy.

Multiple subdomains, so i can experiment.

Multiple mysql databases.

PHP 5 support etc.

Secure FTP access.

What i am looking at with the money i have:

iPage - $1.89 a month for the first term, rather good looking feature set.

http://www.ipage.com/hosting-features

Blue Host - $3.95 a month for the first term. Seems to have all the features i want.

https://www.bluehost.com/

Any recommendations? Cautions? Experiences with the above?

Thanks guys,

Speed

They are good, but i can afford twice as much or more time with cheaper (or cheaper initial term) options. I don't want this to be an expensive project, just something i can mess around with, share stuff with family and not worry about forgetting for a while(wouldn't worry about neglecting for a month at $1.89/mo but at $9....)

the normal price is around 9-14$ , I don't know about these $2 servers lol. But if your just messing around, it doesn't really matter now does it.

the normal price is around 9-14$ , I don't know about these $2 servers lol. But if your just messing around, it doesn't really matter now does it.

Thats what i figure. And their normal price is about $10 i think package dependent so this is probably just to get you roped in.

Update for those who might be looking for hosting.

I signed up for the ipage account and its fairly solid for the low price, just don't expect to run a high demand site on it.

ACCESS:

For a cheap hosting plan its not bad, i wouldn't describe it as fast, but for my small site (>50 users daily) it functions well enough. And the speed does not appear to be affected by the amount of data, my photo galleries load just as quick as a page with only text, so I'm inclined to believe they do have unlimited bandwidth.

I have only once found the server unreachable and that was after the heartbleed thing. Not sure how long it was offline as i didn't come back for about 2 days.

FEATURES:

The features are fairly comprehensive, and I have access to all the scripts i need unlike some hosts i have worked with in the past (.htaccess etc)

The one frustration i have is with the email system, they will not let me setup a catchall address. Make that 2, the FTP system boots you off after a minute of inactivity...

Oh and be warned they will try to sell you additional features at every turn, but then thats fairly normal i guess.

SUPPORT:

The support is great, amazing considering what i paid for it. The few issues i have had were solved within 2 hours max by a tech working with me through live chat/phone, no shunting around to various individuals the same guy worked on issues at both ends. 

OVERALL: 

I'd recomend it for a first timer looking for something cheap to mess with like me, but if your really serious or serve a lot of people go elsewhere.

If someone is looking for a cheap plan to play around on I have a coupon for an additional discount to the already low price.*

Hope that helps if anyone is looking for first time cheap hosting.

*It is an affiliate program thing but i ran it by the mods before i posted.