SSD bootup problem

Lawrie

Many thanks for your further input both of you.

I am attaching the images requested plus one relating to the SATA ports. This seems to show the CD Rom but where is the SSD?

The BIOS seems to confirm that AHCI is enabled.

The problem is baffling me.

I know I am not well versed in the hardware of computers but I have installed Windows of various types over the past 13 years and never had any problems either with my desktops or laptop.

The only new item to me is this UEFI BIOS.

If you have any further suggestions please get back to me.

post-131129-0-82959400-1393361263_thumb.jpg

post-131129-0-96149800-1393361266_thumb.jpg

post-131129-0-32110400-1393361269_thumb.jpg

post-131129-0-04389400-1393361271_thumb.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi SpikeSoprano,

I had thought about a fault with the HD but even if it is faulty, it doesn't account for the BIOS not seeing my SSD when the HD is connected. Not sure about a faulty sata port either as the HD shows up in the BIOS when connected and so does the SSD when the HD is not connected.

It is a puzzle.

Hi wevsspot,

Thank you for your further input and it is interesting that you have the same Mobo. I look forward to hearing further from you after you have checked the listings in your own BIOS.

Actually Lawrie, if the hd was faulty and the bios reads it before it reads the ssd it's very possible it would not detect your ssd at all. Do you have another spare hd to try ? If not try leaving an external hd connected and see what happens.

Hi Spike Soprano,

I appreciate you coming back to me.

I do not have a spare HD but I am thinking I will remove the HD and try it in a docking station I have and see what happens.

However, I have two external drives attached at the moment and no problem. Both are operating correctly and show up in disk management as the image shows.

post-131129-0-78519200-1393528379_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I removed the HD and connected it to my laptop which has Windows 8 Pro 64 bit as it's O/S..

Attached it the Disk Management print screen image from my laptop.

It seems to show that the files on the problem HD are corrupt!

How do you read it?

If the files etc are corrupt could I format the dive back to NTFS and reconnect it?

Comments appreciated.

post-131129-0-90053200-1393782557_thumb.jpg

Hi,

My laptop has a 250 GB SSD and dual boots Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center and Windows 7 Ultimate both 64 bit.

I used my laptop just to check my HD out of my desktop computer.

When I connect my HD in my desktop it causes a BSOD but this didn't happen in my laptop! Although disk management took longer than usual to read the HD it did show up the size of it and it's status - RAW.

Since the status of my drives are normally NTFS I am assuming my HD is corrupt.

So I ask the question again - can I format my HD back to NTFS or is the HD a gonner?

I realise I would loose my files and folders that are on it but since it was mainly storage and I have two external drives backing up my important stuff it would not be a catastrophe if everything was lost.

Hi Lawrie, yes I would try and format it back to ntfs, also if possible use some hd partition software and merge it to only 1 partition as usually only os's have that 100 mb partition on them. If and when the format works then you could always make partitions on it.

Hi mmm Beer,

K is the HD - I am wondering if it is corrupt and needs replacing. Why should it say "RAW" as it's status? It was NTFS when I was able to use it for storage before it caused the BSOD.