• RAM
    • Hard Drive
    • Video Card
    • Sound Card
    • Case
    • Cooling
    • Peripherals (ie mouse, keyboard)
    • Other

I want to say HDD as putting a SSD in makes your PC perform on a whole new level but I somehow feel people are sort of understand in that but the PSU is still underrated that or people just plain Dont know what they're doing there and end up with an incorrectly matched PSU or just plain poor quality one.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I chose RAM because I think a lot of people take it for granted. It's extremely cheap these days, so most people have 8GB-32GB, but don't actually think they're getting much out of it. But I definitely don't think it's a component that should be skimped on - get the most you can afford within your budget.

Power supply. People always get a CPU that is overkill, RAM that is overkill, a hard drive that is overkill, but you never see someone with an overkill PSU. Its usually the opposite, they skimp on the PSU. If the PSU fails, your entire system can fry. If ram fails, whatever, you just replace the RAM. 

Edited by Onion

so many choices. a few years ago, I would say sound card but now onboard audio isn't half bad . next I was goning to say video card, but that goes hand in hand with CPU . I settled on memoy because most people buy whatever because they are broke and memory can really boost performance . Usaually having extra ram is better than MHz but they both play roles in better preformance .

If I could pick 2 , I would a say PSU. I've seen cheap ones catch fire and the aftermath of a psu that has no safety and blows everything when it goes . don't go cheap .

I'm gonna buck the trend and say 'Cooling' and by extension 'Case' as well.

Everything else is important, but I think too often the average new builder forgets to budget in a case with decent cooling, an aftermarket cooler and/or high-quality fans.

Power supply's exclusion from the poll list drives home the point.  Of all components, the power supply always seems to be the one component that builders are willing to skimp on and this goes back to socket A and socket 478 days (and probably before).

I can't even begin to count the number of problems or complaints created by a bad, poor quality or malfunctioning power supply.  IMHO the power supply is the most under-rated component hands down.

I picked ram.  not because of speed but amount.  Many people that buy computers or even build themselves often try to get by with the least amount as possible but then over time they always add more and more to the start up, and start using more and bigger programs without adding more ram.  For the cost these days, there's really no sense in getting a bit more and it will help a lot!

Although SSD > conventional spinning hard drive was a very close second place for me.

Definitely PSU, I can't count the number of dead rigs I've seen with Logisys, Apevia, etc crap PSUs that exploded and killed everything. Good PSUs, when/if they do fail, tend to not kill your parts.

RAM is something people skimp on because it's expensive but 8 GB really is more than enough for 99.999% of users.