How do we feel about Origin now post BF4 & SimCity?

Crow47

Having returned to the forum fairly recently, I haven't seen much talk in regards to Steam vs. Origin. The reason why I bring this up is because I'm a pretty die-hard Steam fan. Between my ever burgeoning library and my extensive friends list, I feel very heavily invested in the Steam ecosystem. But between SimCity, BF4, and Crysis 3 (flawed to an extent, I know), and now TitanFall, I'm really pondering investing into the Origin ecosystem. As much as I dislike EA for removing my ability to have these franchises in my ecosystem of choice, at the end of the day, these are games that I miss playing and want to get in on. I really feel like I'm missing out. So how does everybody feel? Are there people like me, that hold out for these games returning to Steam, or do most of you just live with it and bite the bullet?

Edited by Crow47

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been using Origin for a while now, and aside from a bit of lag every so often when looking at its store, I can't really complain. I pretty much just started using it for Mass Effect 3, but then it became the place for Kingdoms of Amalur, Spore (got it for free from EA), and then I added several disc-based games to it so I wouldn't have to mess with that. :lol: Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age: Origins, Awakening, and DA2.

Sure, it is a bit of an issue not having everything on Steam, but you can always do the "add non-Steam game" option to still benefit from the overlay.

I've never had anything against Origin myself (well, maybe its original TOS that was pretty intrusive, but then they changed that and I don't think I was using it at the time). It has felt to me though like the people that really hate it either feel that way because they actually hate EA, therefore they must hate Origin, or because it isn't as feature-rich Steam. I somewhat disagree with that latter idea because Origin does exactly what it is meant to do. Steam, in its years of existence, has simply grown past what it was originally meant to do, which is the same as Origin, and given us In-Home Streaming, screenshots, guides, etc. Eventually Origin may offer the same or similar features, but for now, it is still somewhat young.

I see no reason to buy games on another distribution server.  I like everything to be neatly in one place.  

Not to mention, the last time I reinstalled Windows, Origin wouldn't pick up and run with me copying my Origin games back into the Origin folders, it wanted to download and reinstall them.  Steam doesn't have this problem.

There were more issues with Origin that I can't recall now.

Steam just seems to "just work" for me.

I hate the fact that I have to use 3 different systems to manage my game repositories and a myriad of manufacturer registries. I have nothing personal against any one of them it just sucks that I need to shut down and open different game management systems depending on the games I am testing.  Each game manufacturer wants their own system to manage content.  

uplay

Origin 

Steam

I would just as soon purchase on disk at this point. . 

I've been using Origin for a while now, and aside from a bit of lag every so often when looking at its store, I can't really complain. I pretty much just started using it for Mass Effect 3, but then it became the place for Kingdoms of Amalur, Spore (got it for free from EA), and then I added several disc-based games to it so I wouldn't have to mess with that. :lol: Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age: Origins, Awakening, and DA2.

Sure, it is a bit of an issue not having everything on Steam, but you can always do the "add non-Steam game" option to still benefit from the overlay.

This....minus the store lag (don't use their store) and I wish there was more saved game cloud storage space (I had to disable it for Red Alert 3 after it filled up...) but it's just a small speedbump to playing my games. Sure it'd be nice to have all my Origin games on Steam too but I'm not sore about it.

Hell I don't see Steam having every Command and Conquer in existence for $5 ;)

I see no reason to buy games on another distribution server.  I like everything to be neatly in one place.  

Not to mention, the last time I reinstalled Windows, Origin wouldn't pick up and run with me copying my Origin games back into the Origin folders, it wanted to download and reinstall them.  Steam doesn't have this problem.

Right! Thank you! I just can't help but feel like the only reason Origin exists is because EA says it HAS to. It really frustrates me as a fan of the Mass Effect series that I have the first two in my Steam library but not the third. Bugs the living daylights out of me. 

As for the copying games back into Origin, I haven't had that problem. I just did that with Dead Space 3 today. 

And ccokeman, as far as UPlay is concerned, I tolerate it because I can have the game in Steam, too. If Origin did the same thing I wouldn't mind so much. 

Edited by Crow47

Dont have origin but still needed an account for Alice Madness Returns and now I can no longer play Alice because it refuses to accept that the game is mine.

At some point I will get ME3, Crysis3, Farcry 3 etc but at the moment Origin and Uplay have me in no hurry.

I would just as soon purchase on disk at this point. . 

Purchasing on disk doesn't help... Ubisoft disk games need UPlay anyway, all EA games need Origin anyway and most new releases require Steam anyway.

There is no escaping it.

Any Steamworks game you get on a disc is the same way. Rome II, Fallout: New Vegas, Skyrim, and many others are that way. Just saves time in the long run since you don't need that disc again to play the game.