Sign in to follow this  
SpeedCrazy

Hard drive recovery

if it boots up than it's probably just corrupted data. which is WAAAY cheaper because you can do it yourself. if it's making weird noises, than it's busted and expensive repair.

I'm thinking this was the problem. But i am running diagnostics as we speak. (After backing up ALL my data) Its not making noises so hopefully its not actually damaged.

As Andrew said above remove it for sure and run it as a secondary drive. If not every time you turn it on it is possible it is re-writing over stuff that is deleted or lost.

As the others have mentioned Recuva is great. I used this a few months ago for a friend and I got most of her files back.

Undelete Plus works really well too. If you are good with command prompt try PhotoRec it is a safer alternative to deep disk recoveries and quite powerful as well. 

Thanks for that piece of advice, i had been told(and did) run it as a secondary but no-one said why. I've downloaded recuva but so far i haven't found anything missing. Given the amount of time it spent repairing while in safe mode I'm fairly certain that all the damage was to windows files and not my data. 

I think your drive should be fine, the boot files were probably corrupted and the repair corrected them, to be on the safe side after you get all the data off I'd do a fresh install of windows if your going to use it as your main drive again. :thumbsup: