SLI GTX 770 4GB vs CFX R9 280X 3GB vs GTX 780 Ti 3GB

NikoDG

I have a GPU budget of approximately $1000 which can either get me two GTX 770's, two R9 280X's, or a single GTX 780 Ti. I'll be gaming at 1440p. Which is the better choice?

Edited by NikoDG

well in the right games SLI 770 is faster by about 30%, but since SLI of any kind can be a pain if its not working correctly, I suggest a single card.  I guess if the 1) 770s are cheaper 2) the games you play support it  and 3) you have a decent psu that can power them, than it could be a good choice.

whats your system specs? that might help determine what is a better choice without upgrade everything else.

Well, all cards are with MSI TwinFrozr heatsinks, there would be a two slot gap between the SLI cards, and two 140mm fans on the case door beside them. I imagine cooling would be sufficient.

As for PSU, it's 1200W :lol:

SLI configuration would be approx $40 more, CFX is about $200 more.

My system specs can be found in the 1440p Gaming Build thread under System Builds.

Edited by NikoDG

Personally, I wouldn't go for the stock squirrel cage fan regardless of the price (especially if considering two in SLi).

Blower type fans vent air out the case.

Most aftermarket coolers keep the hot air in the case.

I actually prefer blower stock fans for SLI/CF cards...

Well, I do have an idea to combat that. I'm planning on putting the side fans to exhaust the hot air off the video cards rather than blow more air onto them.

Edit: I live in Canada so my best price on the GTX 780 is about $550.

Edited by NikoDG

I have had Zero issues with SLI in quite a while. Your choices make it tough to pick :)

You said you are gaming at 1440 but whats the start of that? 2560, 5760? Once you state that it might help narrow down some good options for you.