Sign in to follow this  
Onion

Black screen after update

Windows 8.1 is my operating system. I ran Windows update and updated my on board graphics card on my laptop, which also has a dedicated card. My screen went black as it usually does during video driver updates, but it stayed black. 20 minutes later I force restart it, and my screen is still black. :( The back light is on, but it isn't displaying anything. Please save me, occ!

While I realize this isn't the most scientific of methods, after a certain number of forced restarts Windows 8 should prompt you to either run a repair or boot into safe mode. At this point you can use system restore to roll back the update.

After doing so, I would recommend using drivers only from the GPU vendors and not through Windows Update.

I did a system restore, luckily windows made a backup because I was doing an update. :lol: 

Well its the onboard intel chip so I didn't think it'd be so bad. :( I never update the nVidia card through windows though. 

Thanks!

I seem to remember there being a problem with some video drivers while upgrading, so it's probably best to uninstall these drivers before trying again.

I actually just repaired a laptop with the same problem...after a day of booting into safemode etc. System restore was the only way

I did a system restore, luckily windows made a backup because I was doing an update. :lol:

Well its the onboard intel chip so I didn't think it'd be so bad. :( I never update the nVidia card through windows though. 

Thanks!

Glad you got it working! System Restore can be surprisingly effective in some very dire situations. You'd think they'd be able to get drivers right?