Sign in to follow this  
Prunes

Xeons for gaming

It appears that my motherboard is starting to have some problems, so I'll start to slowly save some money to upgrade mobo and CPU. When searching for the CPU I found that a Xeon E3-1230V3 costs pretty much the same as a i5-4670k. Most of the specs seem similar, but the Xeon has HT, more cache, and loads of other features that I'll probably never utilize, but it doesn't have integrated graphics (though I've never used it in my 2500k). But how do they fare in games and such? As for mobo I'm going with a MSI Z87-GD65.

EDIT: Intel Ark for comparison of the two processors

Other than 100 MHz and not being able to OC...the Xeon is essentially the same CPU with hyperthreading and the IGP disabled.

Tough choice. 4 more threads, but lower frequency and no option for OC. I'll probably go for the Xeon then. Thanks Waco.

Waco is right . xeons are practically the same expect they are ment for severs . make sure your mb supports Xeon . I know only a few x79 mb do for example . I duno about Haswell .

edit: I couldn't find if that motherboard supports xeon, only says the standard consumer ones. usually a giveaway is ECC ram support.

I have an xeon in my main rig right now and I like it. Go for it!

You bastard, I still'd love a 970 in my system :teehee:

I am upgrading within a month or so, I will be putting it up foe sale soon here.

I am upgrading within a month or so, I will be putting it up foe sale  FREE soon here.

Let me know ;)