Whats the first component you decide on?

neddamttocs

48 members have voted

1. 1. First Component?

• CPU
    • Motherboard
    • RAM
    • Hard Drive
    • Video Card
    • Sound Card
    • Case
    • Cooling
    • Peripherals (ie mouse, keyboard)
    • Other

This week on OCC poll we want to know:

What is the first component you decide on when building a new computer?

Let us know on OCC poll !

The first thing for me is to decide the purpose of the system. Picking any component without the usage info first is to me a waste. Because I start with the usage the first component varies. For example if I am building a computer to be used as a media center device I look at cases that will fit the place it will be used in as well as a smaller quieter form factor. If I am building a system for work then the software will dictate the CPU used. If I am building a gaming rig then I start with the GPU.

CPU, I could see the case being a good idea but I just chop holes or put the whole damn thing on a bookshelf when it all goes wrong :D

Can't really do PSU as who knows what you need until you know what it's powering.  Motherboard maybe but knowing what socket to shop for it important and even video card plans for PCIe slots/spacing RAM/storage work with most anything except ram clearance issues with CPU coolers. Honestly a lot of stuff ends up being a after thought for me, especially recently where I've actually done some upgrading :) Need to update the signature again and go RAM shopping...and cooler shopping.

cpu and mobo, provided we're talking new build here, ...for me all other choices depend on those first...and comp ed has a point too, i gotta know the "what for" before deciding on the base components...

for me it has always been CPU... usually get bit by the next best thing and the I wants start rolling then we're looking at boards. Case choice does dictate my board preference.

My last couple builds have been mini-itx but even then I based the build off power consumption of the CPU and then chose a board based on my needs/wants.

I'd have to stay CPU for me most of the time. I have started builds based on a component I already had or received. I won some Mushkin RAM a couple of years ago, and built my current rig to accommodate it.