Did Everyone Give up on AMD? 8320 Specifically

GabrielT

Next most common use is likely gaming. here you might be surprised how little the difference is in experience. I used an A10 6800K at stock vs an i7 477K at stock and with the same video cards and same settings the game play experience was identical. Now in fairness I am not a professional gamer but then again most of us are not. So eve a so called budget chip against Intel's flag chip for general consumers the difference was to minor to count. Agasin let me clarify I PLAYED the games, I did not benchmark them.

I disagree that the difference isn't easy to see for some things.

The lower IPC of the AMD lineup does hurt them quite badly in the "smoothness" department even if the average FPS between Intel and AMD CPUs are fairly close. Ref: http://techreport.com/review/23246/inside-the-second-gaming-performance-with-today-cpus/3

Sure, you can claim that Skyrim isn't a great example (although I argue that it is), but I recall being extremely frustrated trying to play something as simple as The Binding of Isaac on my 8120 and being frustrated with just how choppy it was even though the framerate was reasonably high. Spikes in processing power required of a single thread are always an issue in game engines and slower CPUs only exacerbate that issue with frame delays and juttering.

As someone who games frequently on both platforms, I can say that I haven't noticed a difference. I am not a fanboy of either so I just build one of whatever when I get bored. This time I was bored and cheap so I went amd. Next time I may go intel. I do not benchmark or overclock anymore so I don't care what the benches say.

Next most common use is likely gaming. here you might be surprised how little the difference is in experience. I used an A10 6800K at stock vs an i7 477K at stock and with the same video cards and same settings the game play experience was identical. Now in fairness I am not a professional gamer but then again most of us are not. So eve a so called budget chip against Intel's flag chip for general consumers the difference was to minor to count. Agasin let me clarify I PLAYED the games, I did not benchmark them.

The lower IPC of the AMD lineup does hurt them quite badly in the "smoothness" department even if the average FPS between Intel and AMD CPUs are fairly close. Ref: http://techreport.com/review/23246/inside-the-second-gaming-performance-with-today-cpus/3

Sure, you can claim that Skyrim isn't a great example (although I argue that it is), but I recall being extremely frustrated trying to play something as simple as The Binding of Isaac on my 8120 and being frustrated with just how choppy it was even though the framerate was reasonably high. Spikes in processing power required of a single thread are always an issue in game engines and slower CPUs only exacerbate that issue with frame delays and juttering.

Not sure how to answer this because on a A10 5800 with a 7850 my wife plays Skyrim with a perfectly smooth game at 1080 with high detail. Now in fairness she does not load up a ton of mods but my test system with a 6800 and a 7950 also plays Skyrim, this case with a bunch of mods, with no smoothness issues at all. Again though I would point out you referenced a benchmark to show this and I am talking pure experience. As for the Binding of Isaac, until this moment I have never heard of it so will check it out. However there are exceptions to every rule.

My point was that overall the difference cannot be seen.

Not sure how to answer this because on a A10 5800 with a 7850 my wife plays Skyrim with a perfectly smooth game at 1080 with high detail. Now in fairness she does not load up a ton of mods but my test system with a 6800 and a 7950 also plays Skyrim, this case with a bunch of mods, with no smoothness issues at all. Again though I would point out you referenced a benchmark to show this and I am talking pure experience. As for the Binding of Isaac, until this moment I have never heard of it so will check it out. However there are exceptions to every rule.

What mods are you running, I'm at 1920x1200 and my skyrim was pretty modded (or so I think) with my setup and it ran perfectly

My point was that it can be seen - it's just that some people aren't as sensitive to it as others. Just like the G-Sync versus regular vsync argument running through the internet today.

Also, I pointed out a game that most people here probably are familiar with and is also a AAA title. It wasn't a benchmark; it was a measurement of how something works.

The only real way to make my 8350 sane is to go with top of the line Asus Croshair Formula Z. 2400 Gskill memory and good cooling.

However I first started with the stock cooler and 1600 Gskill Ripjaws X series and was able to get 4.4 GHZ overclock at stock voltages, by just raising

the base CPU frequency to 208 Mhz. Got some temps toward 50 C and the memory ran at 60 C, a little warm.

Still not fast enough for me.

Water cooling with H240 and 2400 ram, tweak voltages a little now at 6Ghz, almost as fast as a stock old x77 I7. I7 is till faster.

New Haswell 3.7 I7, no contest.

• Like 1

The only real way to make my 8350 sane is to go with top of the line Asus Croshair Formula Z. 2400 Gskill memory and good cooling.

However I first started with the stock cooler and 1600 Gskill Ripjaws X series and was able to get 4.4 GHZ overclock at stock voltages, by just raising

the base CPU frequency to 208 Mhz. Got some temps toward 50 C and the memory ran at 60 C, a little warm.

Still not fast enough for me.

Water cooling with H240 and 2400 ram, tweak voltages a little now at 6Ghz, almost as fast as a stock old x77 I7. I7 is till faster.

New Haswell 3.7 I7, no contest.

Yeah, I don't believe you, at all. 

For one there is no reason at all you would need faster ram. Use the RAM divider and set it lower. 

The 4.4 GHZ on a stock cooler, maybe. But run OCCT, or Prime95, or Intel Burn Test and tell me those temps.

6ghz on a closed loop cooler, much less one I am not sure exists (H105 maybe)? is pretty much not going to happen. Yeah, I am sure you COULD get there but I really can't believe that you did. 

Post some screen shots with CPUz and some sort of burn in program.