Sign in to follow this  
Jklein

laptop hard drive

ok everyone I have just about had it with this machine. I ordered thermalpaste I went with artic silver and I'm using artic clean because of a loud fan sounds like dentist drill low pitched now the hard drive is making clicking sounds when I looked up sounds made by my hard drive comapny it says the heads on the drive are going bad. Not surprising considering when I ent ti in to fix the screen about 3 months ago they replaced it with a recertified drive. I have had problems with refurbishd parts forever never use them. So anyway since I have to replace it I figured get something decent so I was thinking one of the WD black drives my enclosire supports 9.5 mm a ssd is to pricey for me right now. That being said the Restore disks I made are memorex and not working apprently they are not compatible with hp so I have been told. Would have been nice if staples told me that but whatever. I cans till acess all of the data so i have one of two options get the resotre disks and reinstall of my programs or I can get a sata to usb and copy the disk. Which is recommended by everyone. consdering this literally just started awhile ago is it possible I have time to get the data off? Or should I just get the disks?

Also correct me if I'm worng but if I went the clone drive way I would take the adapter and plug the drive in through that then format the drive and take the acronis tru image software from wd website and just clone the drive and I'm good to go right? I just want to make sure because I never did anything like this before. also when it means a 9.5mmheight that means that a 7mm drive can fit in there it just wont take up the whole depth wise right? I tend to stay away from laptops lol,

Yeah, the software should clone it over just fine (don't delay, since you're getting clicking)

I'd assume the lessened depth shouldn't be an issue either, might even run cooler if there's more space for air to run past (not that it matters much)

I'd skip the black drives, not worth the money over blue. (and I've had much better luck with Seagate laptop drives overall)

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Clicking or just faint ticking?  Clicking loudly is a bad sign, faint ticking noises when seeking are expected.

No this isnt the normal little acess sounds this is a definite clicking. It was loud enough my wife asking me what was making that noise.

Nothing wrong with Hitachi drives.  Not a terrible price either.

If it's clicking though I'd stop using it NOW and leave it off until the new drive gets in and you can do the transfer.

Nothing wrong with Hitachi drives.  Not a terrible price either.

If it's clicking though I'd stop using it NOW and leave it off until the new drive gets in and you can do the transfer.

+1, Haven't really used em much but I haven't seen one die yet in the few times I've seen em