Thermaltake Armor Revo Gene

Hello everyone!

I was taking a look at one of your old post about the Thermaltake Armor Revo Gene and I noticed you guys put in a 240mm corsair radiator and fan! This is awesome news to me because I am trying to fit a Corsair H100i into my case. However I the problem I have is that I have a ASUS z87-A MoBo and I'm worried I will not have enough room to mount this radiator and fan! So who ever made that post about the case can you maybe help me out here? Or anyone that has any suggestions please please let me know! 

Here is the thread about the case 

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/thermaltake_armor_revo_gene/6.htm

Thanks in advance!

-Devron55

I don't know who wrote that review but since I've been reviewing cases here at occ , it looks like it will clear just fine . the radiator mount is in the middle giving enough clearance from any VRM heat sinks .

edit : I just looked at the asus z87-a . the VRM hear sinks are very low , shouldn't be a problem at all . maybe high profile memory will but not the motherboard itself .

edit 2: Here is a photo of where the radiator would go, the question is why does the photo in the review show it taking up the full amount of space? I'm guessing thats not a H100 (240) but a H110 (280mm)

.51.jpg

• 4 months later...

Hello everyone!  I have this case, paired with an Asus Z87 Pro, and was interested in the XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 (w/ Rev. 4 pump).  I am very interested if anybody ever got the 240mm radiator in up top, or if there is another kit/Rad that will fit up there if the Raystorm wont.  Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!  On a side note, there are newer XSPC kits out there that use a revision 5 pump.  Is that pump better?  Hold up longer?  The EX240 is at that sweet spot of $149 USD, and the next kits with the new pump start around $240.  Unless there is a really good reason to go after this updated pump/kit, Id rather save the extra $100 bones.  Thanks for any help you guys can give!

Okay Well here you go.

Raystorm 750 ex240 ...

Would that fit?
Maybe - possible height issue / length. The Raidiator is 35mm and when you buy fans they are usually 25-30mm. So a total of 65mm~ . A Corsair H100i is 52mm

Fit with modding?
No- you cant move the motherboard

How to make it fit?
It will fit as it has mounts for 2x 120mm fans but the raidiator may hit the mothrboard VRM heatsinks or ram. You will need low profile memory for sure either way. Link to image

That kit comes with Rev 4 pump ... there is now a rev 5 ... whats the difference & how valuable is the upgrade?

Can't find anything about v5 and not even for sale. maybe you meant v3 to 4v? anyways 4v has a different radiator, res and water block. well worth the difference from v3 if you can find it still. Here is v4 for sale . Whats what your talking about right?

I suggest you get another case as even a H100i isn't going to clear it very well. It will...if you have the right motherboard and lower memory.

I hope that helps.

BlueCow, thank you so much for taking the time to respond!  That was the Raystorm Kit I was talking about.  For the pump, I was getting confused because some of their kits come with D5 Variant pump ... My brain automatically converted that into V5 and thought revision 5, doh!  

I don't have RAM with tall heat spreaders, but I don't think its specifically low profile either.  Its Mushkin Stealth Memory, specifically This Kit.  Do you think that RAM is too tall?

I really don't have the funds for the cooling & another case, which is why I was really trying to figure out a way to make this work; I actually just bought this case about 2 months ago.  I've even thought of getting a piece of steal and bending it to specification to mount on the top outside of the case, but would really rather not because of running the tubing.  I have a friend who works in a steal machine shop and could fashion a vented metal box that would mount to the top, and be painted to match the case.  

What kind of performance difference between the H100i & Raystorm do you think there is?  Do you think the H100i & my Ram work in this case with an Asus z87 Pro motherboard?  

Again, thanks for taking the time to help me out!

The mounting holes are far enough out that it should clear the memory and ram for your motherboard. I cant find any info about the spacing but the pictures online clearly shows that any 240 would clear that motherboard VRMs. I believe since your ram isn't taller than the motherboard vrm heatsinks, they should clear also. you can eyeball it quickly and see.

As for which is better. the raystorm is going to be better because of the thicker rad and nicer wateblock. overall its a great starter kit and you can use everything in future water builds cooling the cpu. I actually use to own that Reservoir and still own the radiator. the downside is you will have maintenance like replacing the water every 6-12 months, checking for leaks, etc. It's up to you to make sure everything is going good. You have no warranty if it leaks on anything.

The corsair is all in one (AIO). no maintenance required and the warranty is fairly good. My h100 died and they ended up replacing it with a h100i. It won't cool the cpu as good however. In the 4770k guide I used that h100 and got around 78c @ 4.5ghz 1.25v. I would expect the raystorm to get around 70~ if not lower.