Netflix vs Hulu

Bosco

I have been using Netflix for a while now, but I keep seeing stuff about Hulu popping up.

What do u guys think? What's better in your opinion?

I have been using Netflix for a while now, but I keep seeing stuff about Hulu popping up.

What do u guys think? What's better in your opinion?

I have never personally used hulu, but my impression is that it is more tv shows than movies. I'm not real big into tv shows and netflix hasn't failed me yet, so i haven't tried it.

I have both Hulu and Netflix, I like them both. Hulu has a lot more tv shows and they are the current seasons. While Netflix has a lot more movies. Both have their pros and cons, Netflix does a much better job with the queue, while my experience with Hulu's queue is very mixed and that's being nice about it, I think this maybe more of glitch in the software for Hulu on my TV but not sure, queue rarely works and it doesn't seem to update the watch history. So I have to remember what show I was watching and search for it, sometimes. I use both of them about the same, Hulu to catch up on TV shows, and Netflix to watch movies. It all depends on what you watch most and what you want to watch. I'd say give Hulu a try, they usually have a free month trial of Hulu Plus. Check it out for a month and see if it's for you. 

Used to have both in the past. In the end, stuck it out with Netflix and have continued my subscription for almost two years. As others have said, Netflix is geared towards movies and Hulu strives to be the TV provider. In the end, I hardly watch television and my wife is able to catch most shows on the antenna or through the station's website. From what we have seen, Hulu just makes it easy to watch it on the TV. Almost all of the shows, recent episodes that is, you can catch through the station website that broadcasts the show. But, for $8, that's a small convenience price, lol.

I have both, My brother and I share accounts for both, he pays for Netflix, I for Hulu Plus... Lol

Regardless i use Netflix far more often but Hulu has up to date content. So you if you into shows currently on Air and dont have or dont want cable, it's a great way to stay upto date.

It's pretty strait forward:

Netflix: mostly old movies and old TV series.

Hulu Plus: Up-to-date TV content (some TV content can go back as far as last season) - Old movies.

IMO they are not comparable to each other because they both offer different services.

Hulu whether you are paying for it or not has Ads as well.

Kinda off subject, but if you are interested in saving money I will tell you what I have started doing and I have been preaching it to my friends on facebook who are trying to cut their TV bills in half.

What you need:

Roku 3 

PlayOn + PlayLater 

HDTV Antenna

Computer w/ Internet Access

Hulu

Netflix 

Amazon Prime

Project Free TV

So with this setup and apps you can pretty much get rid of your cable or satellite service.

After the initial setup you are only paying for Hulu, Netflix, and the yearly Amazon Prime fees. Which ends up being like >$30 a month or something.

PlayOn + PlayLater is an app for your PC/Roku and it allows you to essentially DVR anything that streams on the internet (Hulu, Netflix, Project Free TV, ABC.com, NBC.com, etc.etc.)

The HDTV Antenna depending on the size and quality you get allows you to watch your local programming for free just like you would back in the day if you were one of the unfortunate children to grow up without cable.

The Roku box just allows you to stream all of that junk to your TV very easily.

You could do without the RokU box assuming you had an HTPC already.

Anyways I know it was a bit off subject, but I thought I would share.

I am not sure how long Project Free TV will be around. Currently it is legal, but it is on the very shady side, so I can see it possibly getting shutdown in the future but for now it offers pretty much all content you can think of.

The one downside to going this route though is you are going to be a day behind. Most things do not come online until the next day. For me though, I work the night shift and it really does not matter. I watch everything a day after everyone else anyways.

Hulu whether you are paying for it or not has Ads as well.

And this is why it's a steaming pile of feces and no one should support it

It was an absolute joy seeing the same damn commercial 10x in a row with a PAID account my friend had.

Edited by IVIYTH0S
  • Like 1

I will agree that the commercial thing is bulldoodie.

What really kind of makes me mad is the fact they said they need the commercials to stay a float with revenue. If I am not mistaken they recently just hit the 1 billion dollar mark in revenue this year.

I will agree that the commercial thing is bulldoodie.

What really kind of makes me mad is the fact they said they need the commercials to stay a float with revenue. If I am not mistaken they recently just hit the 1 billion dollar mark in revenue this year.

They will soon, but yeah, I don't get the commercial thing at all. No need for it if you're already paying a sub.

Personally, I use Netflix and Amazon Instant Video a lot more than I've ever used Hulu. I don't watch enough TV to make having Hulu worthwhile in the long run. Netflix and/or Amazon have the shows I do watch, plus nearly all the movies I enjoy.

Hey Troy,

I messaged Hulu on their forums and this is the reply I got:

Hey Charles,

Thanks for posting. We've had a couple of similar questions trickle in. While we're quite proud of that billion dollar revenue milestone, it's not a measure of profit. Cost are not factored in and we still very much depend on an ad-model in order to make profit. I don't know how many subscribers we would need to function without ads or if we would ever make a transition to an ad-free model, but we definitely take into consideration our users feedback.

Thanks,
Elena S.
Hulu Support