Chromecast

kennethk

I think the future of Chromecast will offer more.

As I said before if you open files in the Chrome browser (ctrl+o) you can stream those over to the player. I have had zero issues with that so far.

It is a bit lacking for apps right now though. I read that a lot more features and apps are to come though.

For $30-35 dollars though you really can't beat it. What I like about it is that it fits into your pocket so I can take it to work and plug it in there and watch Hulu Plus on my break.

My friend has it and we used it last night to watch to Watch archer off of her netflix app on her phone to her TV. Pretty neat.

You're saying you can run any video you want streamed to it?? She was saying it's only official stuff like Netflix, HBOGO etc.

You can run it to stream mp4s from your pc but its not really worth it. All it is is a mirroring device not a full out media player that can run xbmc, I mean it might be possible if someone takes the time to hack it but really its main purpose is to be able to watch content from your smartphone such as youtube onto your hdtv.

Well I already have an HTPC but it cannot handle uncompressed/ripped BluRay movies. It does everything else fine, though it's very minor and rare I need that function so I'll probably just stick with what I have.

720p is fine for streaming content dont be a quality whore :P
Never said it wasn't fine lol

Just I already have a full blown HTPC that can handle N64 and older games so why spend more on something that may not net me any better functionality. It'd be great for the road....but again, I have a laptop with HDMI (that can handle any files, even uncompressed BR files)

I'd spend a little more and go for that Samsung homesync, or even Apple TV for $90, but that's just me. It does so much more than the chromecast. 

You're comparing Chromecast to a $300 device My $80 Android mini pc would blow both of those out of the water I just like Chromecast because of the youtube/mirroring functionality.

My friend has it and we used it last night to watch to Watch archer off of her netflix app on her phone to her TV. Pretty neat.

You're saying you can run any video you want streamed to it?? She was saying it's only official stuff like Netflix, HBOGO etc.

You can run it to stream mp4s from your pc but its not really worth it. All it is is a mirroring device not a full out media player that can run xbmc, I mean it might be possible if someone takes the time to hack it but really its main purpose is to be able to watch content from your smartphone such as youtube onto your hdtv.
Well I already have an HTPC but it cannot handle uncompressed/ripped BluRay movies. It does everything else fine, though it's very minor and rare I need that function so I'll probably just stick with what I have.
720p is fine for streaming content dont be a quality whore :P
Never said it wasn't fine lol

Just I already have a full blown HTPC that can handle N64 and older games so why spend more on something that may not net me any better functionality. It'd be great for the road....but again, I have a laptop with HDMI (that can handle any files, even uncompressed BR files)

Why do people always talk as if Chromecast is going to break their pocket? It's main purpose is to be able to stream youtube from your smartphone/tablet/pc. Come on man it's just $35. As i said my $80 Android mini pc can stream anything a midrange smartphone can plus 1080p playback I like this because of the youtube functionality.

As well as emulate anything from N64 to DS games.

Edited by kennethk

Why do people always talk as if Chromecast is going to break their pocket? It's main purpose is to be able to stream youtube from your smartphone/tablet/pc. Come on man it's just $35. As i said my $80 Android mini pc can stream anything a midrange smartphone can plus 1080p playback I like this because of the youtube functionality.

As well as emulate anything from N64 to DS games.

I never said Chromecast is bad, just saying unfortunately (because I honestly I would get one if I didn't if...) I have a strong laptop and 99% capable HTPC