Sign in to follow this  
Black64

Windows 7 start up freezes

I have windows 7 ultimate running on my main PC and sometimes about 1 out of 25 boot ups it locks up on the windows logo. It is very rare and I have no virus and all my hardware is running fine. Any ideas?

i've had that happen in past systems when i was doing hard overclocking. usually a windows lockup at startup was due to my voltage settings being to low for the clock settings i was trying to achieve. but just looking at your specs it seems like you're at stock or close to it....but just for giggles, try bumping your voltages in bios just a little bit and see...maybe...

also, it is my understanding that the xeon server cpu's are configured a bit differently than the desktop cpu's (i don't know all the details) so perhaps the trying to run a server 1366 as if it was a desktop 1366 is causing a glitch...just food for thought...

i'm certain some of my more knowledgeable friends in the community will shed more light on the problem...

Interesting, I never thought about the xeon being an issue. I am not running a OC, I had issues with it so put it back at stock.

usually thats ram voltage too low or the IMC voltage needs a bump... when it's loading windows ram is heavily used.

Time to check you boot drive for bad sectors & errors I guess. ;)

Have you done that already?

on further investigation, it looks like i'm wrong about the xeons, everything is virtually the same except it allows non ecc non registered ram, and has another qpi lane for multi proc setups, so that's probably not it black...but keep playing with your voltages  and it ought to work out...i hope so anyway...

the rampage formula in my home server specs undervolted and misreported the voltage it was making in the early bios, and it took awhile to get it straightened,... good luck with that !

It could also be a driver or app loading issue at startup.  

To analyze any issues that might be related to this, download and install the Windows Performance Tools Kit.

Instructions for download and installation can be found here;

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jimmymay/archive/2009/11/24/xperf-install-windows-performance-toolkit-wpt-with-242mb-download-not-2-5gb-windows-7-sdk-part-2.aspx

Once you have the WPT downloaded and installed, follow the directions here for a boot trace;

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/140247-trace-windows-7-bootshutdownhibernatestandbyresume-issues/