Trying to choose between two laptops

Crow47

Honestly, if you're considering a tablet, I'd go for one of the Windows 8 ones just based on the productivity apps alone. Sure, you can get an Android tablet to handle more like a PC, but why not just get a Windows tablet instead of doing a runaround and using third-party apps that aren't as good as native Windows ones?

Honestly, if you're considering a tablet, I'd go for one of the Windows 8 ones just based on the productivity apps alone. Sure, you can get an Android tablet to handle more like a PC, but why not just get a Windows tablet instead of doing a runaround and using third-party apps that aren't as good as native Windows ones?

Surface tablets aren't that cheap, actually. Yeah, I could definitely get a tablet, but at the same time I'm pretty sure I can grab a lower-end ultrabook for nearly the same price and save myself all sorts of headaches related to productivity on a tablet OS.

What about the Nexus tablets? Stock android + routine updates straight from Google sounds like a pretty good combination for me.

Of course, for the prices I'm seeing some of these tablets go for, I could probably snag a gently used ultrabook on CL for not too much and save myself the hassle of trying to do work on a tablet altogether.

Eh, I'm not a fan of Nexus products in general because they're feature stripped like Apple (aka no microsd slot, and I'm not sure if they have the keyboard capability that the ASUS ones do). You could always root and get ported newer versions of android. Even though I feel like a working tablet's a working tablet and marginally newer versions of Android aren't worth getting one product over another for.

Surface tablets aren't that cheap, actually. Yeah, I could definitely get a tablet, but at the same time I'm pretty sure I can grab a lower-end ultrabook for nearly the same price and save myself all sorts of headaches related to productivity on a tablet OS.

+1, I was going to recommend a Surface tablet but they are very pricey and you already have a windows laptop. If you didn't than it could dual purpose more things but since you do it doesn't make as much sense.

If all you're doing is light note taking and viewing on it, an Android tablet is plenty capable

If you only look at the MS Surface, then sure, it's expensive. But there are other W8 tablets for under $600.

But, if you already have the HP... I say go with it. If the battery life while using Windows on the MacBook (something IVI couldn't comprehend :P) is worse than the HP's, just go with the HP you already got. Sell the MacBook and use the cash towards a large external drive and possibly a second monitor.

If you only look at the MS Surface, then sure, it's expensive. But there are other W8 tablets for under $600.

But, if you already have the HP... I say go with it. If the battery life while using Windows on the MacBook (something IVI couldn't comprehend :P) is worse than the HP's, just go with the HP you already got. Sell the MacBook and use the cash towards a large external drive and possibly a second monitor.

i'm 99% sure I'm holding onto the HP and selling the Mac. The HP is just so much computer in a portable package, I just can't resist. Interesting suggestion with the external monitor considering I already have a fairly well-equipped desktop.  :no:

I'd be crazy to spend $600 on a Surface! No, if I were to buy one, I'd pick one up used. Used doesn't bother me one bit considering the amount of $$$ I save. But really, I'm gonna pocket the cash from the Mac and try to snag an Ultrabook. Tablets just aren't my thing.

***Edit***

I should mention I'm sitting in an exam review right now, and looking at the battery estimate on the HP is about 4 hours 28 minutes at 92%. It's amazing how frugal even an i7 can be with Ivy-Bridge. 

Edited by Crow47

i'm 99% sure I'm holding onto the HP and selling the Mac. The HP is just so much computer in a portable package, I just can't resist. Interesting suggestion with the external monitor considering I already have a fairly well-equipped desktop.  :no:

I'd be crazy to spend $600 on a Surface! No, if I were to buy one, I'd pick one up used. Used doesn't bother me one bit considering the amount of $$$ I save. But really, I'm gonna pocket the cash from the Mac and try to snag an Ultrabook. Tablets just aren't my thing.

***Edit***

I should mention I'm sitting in an exam review right now, and looking at the battery estimate on the HP is about 4 hours 28 minutes at 92%. It's amazing how frugal even an i7 can be with Ivy-Bridge. 

Yeah, I'm not sold on tablets either. It's all viewing less doing with them

As for your optimistic battery estimate....it'd be great if computers actually achieved what they estimate. You'll probably see somewhere between 3 and 4 hours. Still awesome since that's what I get with an i5 ivy bridge laptop

Yeah, Ivy, I'm with you on the battery estimates. Even on my Mac there were plenty of times when the battery life did not meet expectations. 

Afaik, the battery estimate is based on the power usage at a very PRECISE moment. If anything changes in the background or you start using the CPU or HDD more then naturally the system will use more power. 

Yeah, Ivy, I'm with you on the battery estimates. Even on my Mac there were plenty of times when the battery life did not meet expectations. 

Afaik, the battery estimate is based on the power usage at a very PRECISE moment. If anything changes in the background or you start using the CPU or HDD more then naturally the system will use more power. 

Yeah, you know the deal. :P