Best sporty car at or under $10,000

IVIYTH0S

Tjj...no. There's a wealth of evidence that older Porsche's are both unreliable and expensive to maintain. Your anecdotes don't mean much compared to the shared experience of the car world, sorry.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tjj...no. There's a wealth of evidence that older Porsche's are both unreliable and expensive to maintain. Your anecdotes don't mean much compared to the shared experience of the car world, sorry.

The carburetor alone would have kept me at bay but thanks lol

I know you're looking for a smaller coupe or such, but this talk of the mustang had me thinking. You can get a last gen LS1 Camaro for well under your budget.

By last gen, are you talking about a fourth gen F-body?? Either way, it'll assuredly get horrible mileage and handle like poop lol

MMmmmmm I am not seeing this "wealth of evidence" waco. 

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/12/porsche-911-is-officially-germanys-most-reliable-car/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObtU9zt0M0Y

IDK what to tell you. 

Porsche 911 != Porsche 914/924, though. That being said, if the car had enough proper maintenance done throughout the years and there's no horrible frame damage you can't see, there's no reason to not trust a 914 or even a 924 as a reliable car. So long as you don't mind the fairly expensive parts and/or insurance.

Back on topic... He's asking for a car newer than 2000. Sure, a 1999 wouldn't matter if its the same model up to 2004 (like the new edge Mustang), but a 1969 Porsche isn't going to be what he's looking for. Also, it has carbs. IVI must have had a bad experience with them on his Ninja because he despises carbs lol.

Edited by Onion

Back on topic... He's asking for a car newer than 2000. Sure, a 1999 wouldn't matter if its the same model up to 2004 (like the new edge Mustang), but a 1969 Porsche isn't going to be what he's looking for. Also, it has carbs. IVI must have had a bad experience with them on his Ninja because he despises carbs lol.

Oh...............................

Miata 

Audi TT

miata 

honda S2000

miata

Toyota MR2

miata 

Evo

miata

Audi TT - Terrible choice, high maintenance and expensive parts.

Miata - Good choice.

S2K - Won't find a good one for under $10,000.

MR2 - Not too much knowledge, but a manual hard top is fairly rare.

Evo - Won't find one for under $10,000, same goes for an STi, which is better.

Actually it was my Jeep Comanche (and GM's fault, for creating that shitty 2.8L V6 that AMC decided to place in it) but the Ninja definitely helped solidify my hate :P

Porsche 911 != Porsche 914/924, though. That being said, if the car had enough proper maintenance done throughout the years and there's no horrible frame damage you can't see, there's no reason to not trust a 914 or even a 924 as a reliable car. So long as you don't mind the fairly expensive parts and/or insurance.

+1

The Porsche 914 and 924 are both VW based I believe, whereas the 911 is a far more proud/prestigious and TRUE porsche model.

Oh...............................

Audi TT-see below

honda S2000- If I can afford it, I'd love one

miata- I'll have to see what I can dig up. I'm not a fan of the older body style but the latest gen (doubt I could afford it), I think looks pretty good since it's more like the S2000

Toyota MR2-The old ones might be a little bit dated, even though in theory, due the MR drivetrain setup, they could be a lot of fun. I'm betting it'd be hard to find one in great condition that isn't expensive of high mileage though.

Miata - Good choice.

+1, though I did find a couple S2000s just in my price range.

Are you talking about the MR-S?? (And is he?) I thought he meant the original two gens of MR2s, I don't consider the MR-S an MR2

Yeah I wouldn't be able to find an evo, wish they did a "second best" model like Subaru did with the WRX. Oh well, "their" loss

Miata - Good choice.

Where on gods green earth are you guys finding this info. I swear there must be a "we hate german cars" forum somewhere that pumps this crap out. 

S2K for less than 10K hard to find? You might wanna look again. 

The MR2 sadly did not come with a hard top in north america, but it is still forgivable with it's mid engine design. Plus I get the feeling that this is not gonna be some sort of crazy drifiting track car either. 

@mythos: The MR-S is a japan only release the MR-2 is the Murican version. 

Anything subaru can do anyone else can do better. 

I had a BMW 745i for 3 years, and it belonged to me right before I got the Mustang. At 68k miles, it was costing 2 grand a month in maintenance.

My fianc

Edited by Onion

Where on gods green earth are you guys finding this info. I swear there must be a "we hate german cars" forum somewhere that pumps this crap out. 

S2K for less than 10K hard to find? You might wanna look again. 

The MR2 sadly did not come with a hard top in north america, but it is still forgivable with it's mid engine design. Plus I get the feeling that this is not gonna be some sort of crazy drifiting track car either. 

@mythos: The MR-S is a japan only release the MR-2 is the Murican version. 

I don't hate german cars, unless you're talking about their value for what you get, then yeah....not my cup of tea.

Meh, maybe it's the hours I put into Gran Turismo but that new abomination (MR-S) will never be an MR2 to me.

I don't understand the meaning of this statement, can you clarify?