Sign in to follow this  
SteveVang

Why can't I adjust the cpu frequency?

Still a noob. I'm trying to OC in bios but the OC stuff are greyed out so i can't adjust the OC stuff.

MSI B85M-E33 LGA 1150 Intel B85

Intel i5 - 4670k

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti

8 gb DDR3 1600

600watt PSU

Edited by SteveVang

can you take a picture of the bios ?

with that CPU you should be able to adjust the CPU multiplier. I have no experience with the 85 chipset but I believe it has overclocking features.

From a quick google it look like this board has no oc'ing options, so the cpu you have will pretty much have to be run at stock. I would invest in a higher end mb. Was this a prebuilt system ? Maybe if you upgrade your bios it will give you the oc'ing options.

Edited by SpikeSoprano

man that really sucks, even my Asrock with 81 chipset has overclocking features. the 85 is the midrange :( .

edit: nvm, on MSI website it states it has OC abilities.  I duno where you were looking spike.

edit 2: Well maybe the OC abilities are limited to the OC Genie function. I would think if it has that than the other functions would be present. The board looks like the lowest end you can get so spike is probly right about not being able to overclock it.

Even if the board doesn't have bios settings, I would think you could tweak the multiplier in windows somehow

From what I've seen the oc genie is the only way to do it, but if you look at the vrm's on this board I doubt they would let you raise any of the voltages, or that the board could handle it, but like you bluecow I am not too familar with this chipset so I'm baseing my opinions on the pic of the mb.

From what I've seen the oc genie is the only way to do it, but if you look at the vrm's on this board I doubt they would let you raise any of the voltages, or that the board could handle it, but like you bluecow I am not too familar with this chipset so I'm baseing my opinions on the pic of the mb.

Yeah, I was thinking he might also be voltage locked but he could probably get a little bit of bump on the clocks

Honestly I don't know that voltage is such a big deal here, as long as the board can supply stable voltage it should be good to get an OC out of the 4670K seeing as there should be power overhead for a 4770K + possible futureprrofing built in to the board's power circuits.  Factoring in Haswell's tendency to run rather toasty might be better off keeping voltage as low as possible anyway.

Seeing as the Z87 chipset is the only one to "officially" support overclocking, the easy way out is to get a decent Z87 board. Using MSI's OC genie in windows should give you access to what features that board does have and might be enough to get you a free few hundred mhz extra though and free performance is what OCing is really about after all.

some earlier version of b85 and h87 mb offer same overclocking option as the z87 chipset  because intel forgot to block it, you can read it about it here

i've build 2 pc on july for a friend with asus b85m-g and 4430 the other one with asrock h87 fatality performance and 4670k. all the overclocking option is there and with the 4670k i'm able to run it at 3.9 on both mb but it's really hot with stock cooler.

when did you buy the board? if its been sitting on the shelf since july or earlier you might be lucky but if its newer version then you might wanna invest some money for z87 mb.