My Next Gen Review...

greengiant912

So Recently I picked up both the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One and I must say that I am a little under-whelmed by this new generation. I have never been  a super early adopter to consoles, I generally wait a bit to buy them. 

The reason why I jumped in this time was because there were a few games that looked to be amazing on next gen, partially Watch Dogs, which ended up getting delayed.

The two games I played were Assassins Creed 4 (PS4), and Ryse Son of Rome (Xbox One). Both games were decent (AC left me wanting more as usual...) and Ryse while it had some pretty nifty combat mechanics was just essentially a game version of the movie Gladiator, the story seemed super familiar. There are games coming that looks pretty awesome too The Order: 1886, and of course the untethered creative minds the fled the Activision regime and formed Respawn entertainment, Titanfall looks amazing. 

Not to mention Destiny seems to be bringing the awesome aspects of MMO's into a more refined and condensed game. The multiplayer aspect seems pretty cool, being able to just jump into public events seamlessly. 

The consoles themselves are pretty nice overall, the controllers both respectively feel nice. However my one complaint about the PS4 controller is the battery life, it sucks... On the other side with Xbox One, Microsoft is still using this ancient technology called AA batteries... When I saw that I honestly thought it was a mistake... It is 2013, most consumer electronics come with some sort of Lithium Ion battery that is rechargeable... I wanted to call Microsoft and ask them if they were going to supply me with AA batteries, because after a day of playing on the console they were pretty much dead. Who the heck has these things around anymore? The only place I have some are in my TV remotes... Luckily they do make a rechargeable kit that will set you back about $25... I just find it a bit odd that the next generation uses a technology that has been around decades... 

In terms of functionality they both have their pros and cons. The PS4 has livestreaming to twitch and ustream from day one which is pretty awesome. However the Xbox One's goal to be the center of your media center is kinda working....

Xbox One comes with the ability to input an HDMI signal to the console. This is pretty awesome since you can hook your cable box up to it, setup did take a few minutes but overall it works pretty good. Tons of features are let to be left desired however. The IR blaster in the kinect sensor dose a great job of bouncing the proper remote signals to my cable box, but other things like my receiver don't work to well yet. I hope in time MS works this out and finds new ways to expand upon this technology.

I honestly feel that Microsoft might have something with the "Media Hub" idea, and frankly I have been saying this for years, but they should honestly just focus on Xbox... Scrap the stupid Surface which nobody really likes, and stick with Xbox... Just my opinion as it turns out. ;)

Anyways I am curious to see if anyone else picked up the latest and greatest in the gaming world, and what games have you purchased? I am likely going to pickup Killzone for the PS4 next, and am looking for a game to pick up on Xbox...

Nice assessment, though nothing really surprising from what I've surmised.

PS. I actually think the Surface is a cool device and if I was currently in the market for a tablet, it'd be a tough decision between the Surface and a Kindle Fire HD. The latter certainly has the advantage in price.

I personally think Microsoft's controller strategy works very well using AA batteries.  The 360 works the same and I personally like having the option of swapping in AA batteries to play wirelessly if I don't use the console at all for a month and come back to a dead controller.  Actually my 360 is in the bottom drawer of a filing cabinet at the moment and I'm only using the controllers on PC using AA batteries in two different controllers at two different locations and can't remember the last time I changed them (I use the controllers around 1-2 times a week for an hour or two of mostly racing games etc so not heavy use)

That is why PS4 is selling more than the One

Got a source for that one?

I know Sony put out a 2.1 million number but the only solid figure I found for Microsoft was an "Over 1 million" and that's rather vague.

Both consoles appear sold out nearly everywhere with the exception of some bundle deals I found (all my "research" was 5 mins on Google at a few stores and news articles) so both seem to be selling through available stock anyway.  

I still think I would buy the PS4 IF I was going to get a new console, but right now neither brings anything I want to the table other than a new Forza game on the XBOne and I've heard I'm just not missing out on getting screwed over with the push for micro-transactions in that one.

EDIT: Oh and PS for me too, I'm kinda with Clay on the Surface.  I really like the idea of the Pro version. Just not the implementation and for now the price.  

Edited by cchalogamer

Believe it or not, my local gamestop couldn't get rid of their Xbox Ones and PS4s on black friday. I went there to buy the PS+ 1 year membership for $30 for my PS4 and they were begging my to buy an Xbox. It seems like the market is flooded with them around my area.

I an not a console fanboy (the only one I got is my Playstation 2 with a 40 games collection)

I was looking to see if there is any ACTUAL difference between the two consoles (texture resolution, objects details)...

Anandtech made videos and a brief analysis, but what I wonder if there is anyone that is able to tell me what is different
between those two videos. You don't even need to have a 720p monitor to even see the difference. I want replies tho.
I haven<t been through the 27 pages of comments on Anandtech if somebody noticed it (it's tall I must say).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVGMJjWsd5o&feature=player_embedded