DanTheGamer11

System at stock not stable

So OCCT was actually the one i was thinking of so you went that route what was the error given when the psu test failed or did it not give you any? vin0 is GPU voltage related and could very easily jump up and down. a 300watt psu will power this system but be at its limits in a gaming situation i would try it just to test cpu load to see if this stops.

I'll try it without the 7950 first when I test with the 300W, definately not gonna try the psu test with it

No error was given, it just said error detected.

Edited by DanTheGamer11

Yes, the XFX I linked you to is plenty powerful for your system and (one) high end graphics card.  It won't power two gpus, but for one it is more than enough.  Forget about power ratings and concentrate on the quality of the power being delivered.

550W of good, reliable, clean power is more than enough for your system.

What if I decide to get a FX8320/FX8350? Would 550W still be enough? There's also a Seasonic around that price range but is a 520W model. I wonder if the 95W mobo isn't enough for this '101W' cpu :/

Edited by DanTheGamer11

550W is enough for a single gpu system, 520W is right at the border based on AMD recommendations for your specific GPU (if I recollect AMDs recommendation is a minimum of 500W for single 7950).  There are several power supply load calculators out there, so if you're feeling frisky you can plug some numbers into those power supply calculators and see what they tell you.

But I can tell you from experience that a good 550W power supply will meet your requirements just fine.

As hardware (and overclocking) enthusiasts many of us (yes including me) are guilty of suggesting much larger power supplies than most users need under normal circumstances.  I've got some fairly simple rules of thumb;

1. Use my favorite power supply load calculator

2. Add 20% cushion to whatever the load calculator says I need

3. Always take into account possible near term component upgrades (especially multiple gpu scenarios)

In reality, if you properly research and plan your power supply purchase, and invest in a respected brand built by a very good OEM, that power supply can last you through two or more component or PC upgrades.  I can give you some examples;

My Corsair Modstream 520W lasted through three builds; Socket A, Socket 754 and Socket 939 - and I still sold it for a decent price after that.

My Corsair TX750 lasted through four builds; X38 and X58 - and I still sold it for a decent price after that.  On my last X58 build I went Crossfire and later SLi so I upgraded to Corsair TX950 (I still have that power supply and use it as a backup).

When I built my first P67 based platform with two GPUs I invested in a Corsair HX1000 - I still use that same power supply today and it has gone from a P67 build, to a Z68 build to my current Z77 build.

What is your favourite psu calculator?

The XFX is Seasonic built too so they shouldn't be too different, it got a 8.5 in performance versus the 9 the seasonic got  on JonnyGuru but they're both good. I don't want crossfire, I'll just get a better single video card :)

I should be receiving the ram today, if the format and install of w7 doesn't work I'll return the mobo and order a M5A97 R2 alongside that XFX if that's the best you could find. Thanks for the help so far guys.

Okay, atm I'm running prime95 with the new ram. The MOD software doesn't support my memory so no access to memory temp sensor. The auto setting for ram speed is confusing, it shows the correct timings in the BIOS ie CL8 but CPUZ shows CL10... I'm worried the voltage on auto isn't the 1.5V it's rated for

Here are a couple power supply calculators that I use regularly.  The first one is Corsair specific, but you can just cross reference the power requirements shown for a Corsair unit with whatever other good brand you would like.

http://www.corsair.com/psufinder/

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

The second one is probably one of the best that I've run across.

Prime has been running over an hour on the new ram without errors, what so you think? I have yet to test them at their rated timings, should I try that overnight? OCCT PSU test tomorrow again.

Is the ram temperature in HWMonitor trustworthy(Currently at idle it's temp is 32C)? The ram does have a thermal sensor.

The Corsair tool is recommending me 600W/650W PSU and the other tool says 573W/Recommended 623W on peak with 10% cap aging and some overclock on cpu, so need I add on another 20%?

Edited by DanTheGamer11

I'd definitely try your RAM at the mfg. rated speed, timing and voltage.  Just manually set the memory speed, four primary memory timings, command rate and DRAM voltage.

Save changes, reboot and run the test overnight.

Frankly I wouldn't worry myself with RAM temperature unless you were running insane high frequency RAM (like DDR3 2133Mhz or above)