Test Drive - Sport Sedans

Fogel

What'd you search for to find that?? I hunted through all ok the wiki engines page and did find the result but it was a bitch lol

RWD FTW! :)

I did have alot of fun in my Comanche and Cherokee in the rain/snow it was nice to be able to throw them into 4WD when the going got tough though.

I've never driven an AWD in the snow though.

Well I wasn't too far off haha......

I have a buddy that had one hence why I could remember some numbers :)

My brother's old neighbor had an '04 STI. Kept trying to convince my bro to upgrade from a Lancer to a Lancer Evo so they could see which car was better. :lol:

That'd be awesome, I was in camp Evo as a kid and my friend has always been an STi fan

I may try and see if I could get a WRX or STi under $10K if I decide to get rid of my mighty saturn :(

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The WRX handles inclement weather fantastically.  The only thing you have to watch out for is not surprising yourself when the turbo starts to spool up.  On dry pavement you've got to really work it for it to get messy.  My most memorable trip in in the car so far was back after we first bought it.  We decided to take a road trip to Reno, Nevada to visit some friends that moved out there.  We were on I-80 in Wyoming (the stretch that runs through the Red Desert) running about 85mph when a '03 or '04 Corvette blew past us.  And I mean blew....................

The wife and kids were all asleep so I figured what the heck.  I snuggled up behind the guy and girl in the Corvette and we ran about an hour at a bit over 130Mph.  After an hour Traci woke up and I was moved to the passenger seat for the remainder of the trip   :)

While I haven't been much on the revised styling cues through the years, if you haven't seen the 2015 you should take a look at the proto they showed at the 2013 LA Auto Show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP94TGcizng

The WRX handles inclement weather fantastically.  The only thing you have to watch out for is not surprising yourself when the turbo starts to spool up.  On dry pavement you've got to really work it for it to get messy.  My most memorable trip in in the car so far was back after we first bought it.  We decided to take a road trip to Reno, Nevada to visit some friends that moved out there.  We were on I-80 in Wyoming (the stretch that runs through the Red Desert) running about 85mph when a '03 or '04 Corvette blew past us.  And I mean blew....................

The wife and kids were all asleep so I figured what the heck.  I snuggled up behind the guy and girl in the Corvette and we ran about an hour at a bit over 130Mph.  After an hour Traci woke up and I was moved to the passenger seat for the remainder of the trip   :)

While I haven't been much on the revised styling cues through the years, if you haven't seen the 2015 you should take a look at the proto they showed at the 2013 LA Auto Show.

VIDEO

Sounds like alot of fun....the Subaru sounds better and better

It has its benefits!

Nothing like right foot steering! :evilgrin:

And then the puckering. :teehee:

Only when you drive a Mustang. :lol:

I puckered pretty good with the Z the other day, actually. I know the limits of grip with my old tires, but with the fresh rubber, its MUCH higher. I expected understeer and expected to go wide and hit the dirt and had already lifted off the gas, but instead it just crushed my against the driver door and went around the corner. Puckered so hard.

I puckered pretty good with the Z the other day, actually. I know the limits of grip with my old tires, but with the fresh rubber, its MUCH higher. I expected understeer and expected to go wide and hit the dirt and had already lifted off the gas, but instead it just crushed my against the driver door and went around the corner. Puckered so hard.

06%20cool%20story%20bro.jpg

@wevsspot

WRXs are beasts of a car!   Always wanted one.   I test drove a 2010 back then so the only recent is just a ride in my co-worker's 2014.   I can't say I like their looks but that boxer engine gets a ton of love from me.   Great cars but they do not compete with the cars I'm talking about in this thread.   I would pit the WRX against the Mazda Speed 3, Volkswagon GTI, Lancer EVO, Hyundai Genesis, and Ford Focus ST.

@IVI

Actually I drove more cars than the 3 in the OP but no one requested I review those as well so I didn't take the time to write another Wall of Text.   If people want me to I can provide more information or do another full review.   Other cars I test drove:

2014 BMW 328i w/ Sport Package

2012 Mercedes E350 w/ Sport Package

2011 BMW 335i  (1 year older than one in review but a LOT of difference)

20xx Infinity G35

As well as other cars not in this category like a Ford Fusion, Nissan Altima, Camaro RS, bla, bla, blah.

@MercuryDoun

Actually I wanted to try the Caddy ATS 3.6 but didn't get around to it.   Of course the CTS would be grander but I was trying to keep it in range of cars I could own someday.   I hear the handling is absolutely superb on the ATS and more fun to drive than the other cars.   Supposedly it falls apart after that but one thing that is great about the cars in this category is the refined handling   Going from German and high end Japanese cars to low end American cars and low end Japanese cars made me feel like I had no control over the car and I found myself really missing the Lexus and BMWs.   So if the ATS is on top of that than it is high on my desire to test drive list.

Edited by Fogel

It has its benefits!

Nothing like right foot steering! :evilgrin:

And then the puckering. :teehee:

Only when you drive a Mustang. :lol:

They are not bad. There is a lot worse cars on the road that are downright scary

@wevsspot

WRXs are beasts of a car!   Always wanted one.   I test drove a 2010 back then so the only recent is just a ride in my co-worker's 2014.   I can't say I like their looks but that boxer engine gets a ton of love from me.   Great cars but they do not compete with the cars I'm talking about in this thread.   I would pit the WRX against the Mazda Speed 3, Volkswagon GTI, Lancer EVO, Hyundai Genesis, and Ford Focus ST.

@IVI

Actually I drove more cars than the 3 in the OP but no one requested I review those as well so I didn't take the time to write another Wall of Text.   If people want me to I can provide more information or do another full review.   Other cars I test drove:

2014 BMW 328i w/ Sport Package

2012 Mercedes E350 w/ Sport Package

2011 BMW 335i  (1 year older than one in review but a LOT of difference)

20xx Infinity G35

As well as other cars not in this category like a Ford Fusion, Nissan Altima, Camaro RS, bla, bla, blah.

@MercuryDoun

Actually I wanted to try the Caddy ATS 3.6 but didn't get around to it.   Of course the CTS would be grander but I was trying to keep it in range of cars I could own someday.   I hear the handling is absolutely superb on the ATS and more fun to drive than the other cars.   Supposedly it falls apart after that but one thing that is great about the cars in this category is the refined handling   Going from German and high end Japanese cars to low end American cars and low end Japanese cars made me feel like I had no control over the car and I found myself really missing the Lexus and BMWs.   So if the ATS is on top of that than it is high on my desire to test drive list.

I got to test drive the 2.0T ATS and it was great, I didn't try the 3.6 ATS but according to most people the 2.0T is actually more fun to drive as it has a near 50/50 weight distribution. 

I'd driven the regular 3.6 CTS and the CTS-V... Needless to say, Anything short of the CTS-V is just not that fun anymore, lol.