German - Paul Aner Pils

Edited by Utmost

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Happy New Year!

So a month ago I went from not liking beer to saying "Hey this is pretty good stuff"

So in my area if you go to a bar your choices are pretty limited.. It is either Bud/Bud Light/Bud Plat./ Sam Adams.

So as I mentioned in a prev. post on here I was heading to North Carolina and I was going to brew my very own beer with a buddy of mine.

So I did and it turned out pretty damn awesome.

We ended up calling it Dr. Drank. Its main ingredient was Dr. Pepper. 

If any of you make beer and want to try I took a screen shot of the recipe and I will post it here.

The one thing you need to know that is not on the instruction/ingredient list is we had to make a super yeast pack.

I don't remember exactly how we did it, but if you make beer you probably know what I am talking about.

We fed a giant slap pack of yeast a bunch of sugar.. Put it in the fridge over night. Then we redid the process the next day to double or triple the yeast count.

Capture.PNG

So anyways.. after this past month I have learned that bud light / bud.. is pretty gross.. I guess I should say I found that I am not a fan of light coloured beer.

I absolutely love this beer called Breakfast Stout. I don't remember who makes it. All I know is it taste like coffee lol! I am also not a huge fan of coffee which makes it kind of weird as well.

Oh and I bought Dragon Milk the other day for last night.. Drank that all up!

Plus I have 30+ bottles of this Dr. Drank I have been drinking..

Andrew! I seen that Narwhal beer next to my Dragons Milk! I almost bought that!

I will try it next time for sure!

So a month ago I went from not liking beer to saying "Hey this is pretty good stuff"

Amazing how the mass media can color your opinion on just about anything. Before that having tried Bud, Coors, Miller, Guinness, Heineken, etc. you were SURE that you had tried enough beer to say it was disgusting.

Granted Guinness isn't even that bad, but its not the filling, 'thick' meal in a glass that I've heard people describe it as. :lol:

Andrew! I seen that Narwhal beer next to my Dragons Milk! I almost bought that!

I will try it next time for sure!

I have not tried Dragon's Milk, but after looking it up I may have to find some.

Also for your beer searching, If you like stouts then you're in luck because it seems like next to hoppy IPAs the stout style lineup is enormous.

Another thing, a stout is named that because it was basically a STRONG porter, so don't limit yourself to just stouts.

Nowadays stouts tend to be much maltier and not just strong in alcohol content but very complex flavorfully, but don't let that fool you into thinking that they have a monopoly on the flavorful dark beer sector. There are still very good porters kicking around.

That being said try these-

• Porter
  • Baltic Porter
  • Stout
  • American Imperial
  • Russian Imperial
  • Oatmeal stout/porter (actually brewed with oats, they tend to have an amazing mouthfeel, think almost putting pop rocks in your mouth as you drink it, but not quite as vigorous)
  • Milk stout (definitely split a bottle with a friend, these can be hit or miss, you love them or you hate them)
  • Dry stout/porters (and by extension dry anything will be the same as milk stouts, English style ales as well with their minimal flavor and no carbonation should be avoided as well)
Probably lots of other beers that fall into this category of flavorful dark beers, but you'll just have to try one of every kind to get a good preference.

Also it seems ultra nerdy, but when you go to a beer store and you're trying something new you should search for that beer on BeerAdvocate or RateBeer to see what the average score is.

It would suck to try a beer and have it leave a bad impression on a whole beer style only to find out it was a poor example, just a really bad beer overall or It may also be that the brewery calls it one type of beer but that it actually is technically under another category.

Edited by Andrewr05

I just got BeerCitizen on my phone so I can better keep track of what I drink, but I did get a 24pk of my safe beer (Yuengling Lager lol)

I'm such a lager guy, shat ain't funny.

I'll need to compile shopping list of new lagers to try, I think Victory was the last I tried and it was good.

Lager and Porter - Yuengling

Stout - Guinness (Extra stout) 

Annnndddd, that's about it. I'm a huge fan of Yuengling, some of the best beer I've had in my opinion though I haven't experimented tons. At this point I'll only drink amber or dark beers, like carbonated expresso looking, lol.