Unofficial BEEEEEER Thread

Andrewr05

Lets talk about beer.
...and then lets talk about good beer, followed by not so good beer and then perhaps about excellent beer.

Lets talk about beer pairings, lets talk about beer thats good with everyhing, lets talk about beer thats good from a technical stand point that you only ever want to drink once.

Lets recommend beer to people who "Don't like beer", lets recommend beer to people who only like their macro (mass produced) brand, lets recommend beer to other beer people.

Lets beer beer for  beer those who beer, beer not beer when we beer!?

Some topic discussion:

Favorite ale-
Favorite IPA/PA-
Favorite lager-
Favorite porter-
Favorite stout-
Favorite Belgian-
Favorite German-
Favorite lambic-
Favorite other(?)-

Beer you've had that you thought was over rated?

Best beer you've had that you were surprised by?

Your go-to every day beer?

Edited by Andrewr05

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't much care for beer, but we do not have many choices here at our bars other than Bud, Bud Light, Bud Platinum, Sam Adams... I have tried and I still have almost a full case of Blue Moon Summer Harvest in my garage.

I am however going to North Carolina the day after Thanksgiving for a week and I will be brewing my first Home brew. A friend of mine and I have created a special Porter.

Going to contain Dr. Pepper. If it turns out good I will post the recipe for you guys who brew. 

As a belgian living in germany, I've tried most european beer,

My favorit beer is Becks (Pils, german), Duvel (Pils, Belgian), Westmalle Triple (Pils, Belgian) and Westmalle Dubbel (Dark, Belgian). From time to time I drink Guiness, but only the bottled ones.

My favorite ale so far is probably Jubalale from Deschutes(which is one of my absolute favorite brewers)

I don't have a favorite IPA or Lager, I just don't enjoy those styles much, I can and have enjoyed them but the beer has to be of a rather high quality and that usually means spending more than I'm willing.

My favorite porter is probably Black Butte, although Edmund Fitzgerald definitely comes in as a close second. I also really enjoy Schlafly Porter, Boulevard's Bully Porter, and more.

Favorite stout is really hard to choose, there's so many I love for different reasons. Obsidian Stout for it's simply raw stout feel and flavors, it lacks in sweetness and focuses on a lot of flavor. Oatmeal Stout from Schlafly for being a sweeter but still well balanced stout. Satin Solitude for being a strong but balanced stout. I can't really pick a favorite among these three, it all depends on what I'm in the mood for at the time.

Favorite Belgian would be Trippel from New Belgium, I love the coriander flavor.

Favor other? Definitely Scotch Ales, Porters and Stouts are my favorites overall but then Scotch Ales come in at number three. I find them to share much of the same complexity and variety that Scotch itself possesses. So far my favorites for this are Belhaven, Scotty Karate, Dirty Bastard.

I would have to say my absolute favorite beers so far have come from Stone Brewing though, their collaboration beers, which I've only had two of so far, are incredible, first one being the W00tStout, hands down the best beer I've had yet.

Beer you've had that you thought was over rated?

Probably Founder's Porter, I was shocked that I didn't enjoy it because I love porters and heard it's one of the best but I just didn't like it that much for some reason.

Best beer you've had that you were surprised by?

Probably Hoppin' Helles from Leinenkugel, their beers tend to be on the sweeter side, more like soda or kool-aid than beer. This one was more like a real good hoppy beer though. I'm not usually a fan of hoppy beers either, I find most of them, like IPAs just don't have good balance, either too bitter or not bitter enough or just too much focus on that single bitter flavor.

Your go-to every day beer?

I don't really have an every day beer, when I drink beer I like to drink something different each time I pick up a bottle. I go from a stout to a porter to an ale to another porter then to a different porter and back to an ale, etc. I rarely drink the same beer twice in a row.

Verily beer, beer, beer!

I go all over the place. The hoppier the better! Dark beers (imperial stouts, porters, etc) are a favorite too.

My everyday working on the car beer is Tecate. :lol:

Do any of you guys like IPA.  I freaking hate it soo much.

That and those budweiser shots are about the only beer I will straight up turn down.

Other than that I lovem all.

One cool one I tried a while ago was the Bowen Island Hemp Ale.  I was really surprised because this beer is very cheap and it had such an interesting taste to it.  The big problem is you have to buy a 12 pack that is 4 types of beer, so that means it only comes with 3 cans of hemp ale and 3 cans of IPA  :sick: I forget what the other 6 cans were because they were just barely so so.  In the end it wasn't worth 3 cans of crap and 6 cans of meh to get 3 tasty cans lol.

Ihttp://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3446/69742