USB 3.0 Ports Not Working

Nothing tying you to the Asus board, unless it was an exchange only item when you purchased it or it is past the retailer return allowance period.  

Even if you have to RMA through Asus you could buy another board and then sell the Asus RMA return once they send you the replacement.

I've been running the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H and it has been an outstanding board.  I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.  And if you need

a less expensive alternative you could look at the Z77X-UD3H.  Another great board if you don't need all the features of the UD5H.

+1 The new gigabyte have the best features per $ I've seen but I'd just try the RMA replacement

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to chime in and say the GA-Z77X-UD5H is a great board, but don't do like I did the night I bought mine and order it because of a discount with the CPU I was already buying then realize that the "better in every way" from the step down was actually missing one important to me item, a PS/2 port for my keyboard.  I personally hate the 6 or sometimes less simultaneous keys that USB allows with most setups vs being able to press every key at once if I have a need (Like crazy keyboard helicopter flying in BF2/3/4/etc) That's my only complaint with that board once they did a few BIOS updates...well that and the nearly standard total crap Marvell "6"Gbps SATA ports that don;t come close with an SSD plugged in, the 3Gbps Intel chipset ports are actually faster.  Not that they don't work just fine for hard drives.

Nothing tying you to the Asus board, unless it was an exchange only item when you purchased it or it is past the retailer return allowance period.  

Even if you have to RMA through Asus you could buy another board and then sell the Asus RMA return once they send you the replacement.

I've been running the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H and it has been an outstanding board.  I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.  And if you need

a less expensive alternative you could look at the Z77X-UD3H.  Another great board if you don't need all the features of the UD5H.

I think the easiest thing for me to do is just buy a new board.  Same board I have to reduce complications of install and getting the computer up and running again.  Then RMA this board.  Hang on to the new RMA board till I know for sure the one I buy is not going to give me any problems, and sell the RMA board.  The board is $25 cheaper than when I bought it, so I should be able to give someone here on the forum a good deal.

I

Since three of you recommended the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H board, I looked at it on Newegg.  Very nice looking board.  Might give this one a try with the next build.  However, it sure has a lot of negative reviews at Newegg.  Should that give me pause?

Ehh, I wouldn't pay that any mind. Usually most reviews come from bad experiences since happy people will just enjoy the product.

+1 if its not professional reviews (like OCC) I don't pay attention

The ASUS board I have now has had a lot of negative reviews since I bought it, and many with dead USB 3.0 ports, so there must be something to the bad reviews.  Both my board and the Gigabyte have lots of negative reviews and some 5 egg reviews.

If anyone knows of professional reviews of the Gigabyte board, I

Biggest thing I do when I find negative reviews is try and read several of them, you've be amazed at the number of people who review the retailer, or did something stupid to cause their problems. I loved the ones when a friend was looking at a "Samsung Galaxy S4 case" 1/3 of the negative reviews complained about it not fitting their Galaxy S3...

Personally I never reviewed the board because I'm lazy.  

Here's a lovely newegg review on the GA-Z77X-UD5H 

Cons: I had a couple issues when I got this board originally, and after everything finally started, I figured that it was grounding out at some point when I originally installed. After a few weeks, I started having weird startup issues. 

Yeah started off installing it wrong and it broke later...couldnt be user error there...

This is considered physical damage, and not covered under the manufacturer's warranty. However, we will make an exception. Please contact us at [email protected] with the case number 2013012201 in the subject line.

That one's a part of Gigabyte's somewhat smartass reply about a guy who appears to have ripped his PCI Express slot off his motherboard (after describing in detail how he did it and if he did it as he said, he was wrong lol) 

Several people list freezing and other issues, might be a problem for some I really don't know to be honest.  I've had mine for over a year now and have run a HUGE variety of hardware with it with the exception of CPUs (I've only got one over LGA 1155 CPU and that's a lowly Pentium lol) and I've run a few diff Linux Distros along with Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 x64 versions is literally ZERO issues.  

With that said the board I JUST bought has a load of complaints about the USB 3.0 controller, but I'm taking my chances because of all the motherboards I've had over the years only 3 brands have never let me down, DFI, EpoX, and Gigabyte...well that narrows my options a bit doesn't it :D The 4770K will be getting a new home tues/wed

With that said the board I JUST bought has a load of complaints about the USB 3.0 controller, but I'm taking my chances because of all the motherboards I've had over the years only 3 brands have never let me down, DFI, EpoX, and Gigabyte...well that narrows my options a bit doesn't it :D The 4770K will be getting a new home tues/wed

My first build I ever did was with a DFI board.  Dang thing is 7 years old now, still working just fine and has never given me a problem.  If DFI was still around, I wouldn

Edited by wingspar

No matter the brand name, someone... somewhere is going to get a bad board.  It just happens.  When reading user feedback you really have to weed out true manufacturing/quality defects from the complaints that are coming from idiots that don't know how to properly install or setup their hardware.

I'm not knocking Asus boards, they build some good ones.  I'm just sharing my personal experiences with Gigabyte on the last few builds I've done for myself.  I've gone with Gigabyte solutions and couldn't be happier.  In fact two of my last three Gigabyte boards are residing with new owners and they are as happy with the used boards as I was with them when they were brand new.

In the end, the choice is yours - I was only trying to offer an alternative to the frustration you're feeling with your Asus board.

Best of luck whatever direction you decide to go.