SkytTe

Most suitable BF4 GPU upgrade?

Hello there experts.

So, I just got Battlefield 4, and guess what, my system can't really do more than a custom setting of low and medium graphics settings. On pure medium settings, there is an occasional lag.

I have had this hardware system for a bit over 2 years, and it has done its job fine until now. Nothing is wrong, I just need more power, and I think the problem is my GPU.

My question for you is: which gpu should I buy in the price range of 290-360$ (estimated DKK->$) to be able to play BF4 properly in ultra settings?

Have been looking at the GTX 760, which seems rather good for the price (1800 DKK/327$), but I'm not sure this is the best choice?

I hope someone can help me in the right direction here :)

My system specs:

MB: Asus M4A87TD

CPU: Amd Phenom II x4 955 BE

GPU: Asus EAH6870 DC/2DI2S/1GD5

SSD: Kingston HyperX 120 GB

RAM: 2x 4GB Kingston HyperX grey

Monitor: Asus 24" VG248QE

Regards, Skytte

I would get an R9 270X, the Toxic model if you can swing it, will eat up a 760 :woot:

TotalBiscuit was doing a review and said that even his Twin Titan SLI setup was choking every once in a while at highest settings, so it may be more related to poor drivers and you may want to wait for some updates to see if any patches fix it.

I would get an R9 270X, the Toxic model if you can swing it, will eat up a 760 :woot:

You're kidding right, the 760 is on par with the 7950 at times, and the 270X is just stronger than a 7870 but well under the 7950

I'd get the Palit:

http://www.proshop.dk/Grafikkort/Palit-GeForce-GTX-760-Jetstream-2GB-2423858.html

I've always wanted a good Palit card, they seem to be so badass and still inexpensive over in europe... The only Palit card I've owned was a GT210 and that doesn't even come close to counting lol

Thank you for your reply. So you agree that upgrading from 6870 to a 760 is a smart choice for me? :)

TotalBiscuit was doing a review and said that even his Twin Titan SLI setup was choking every once in a while at highest settings, so it may be more related to poor drivers and you may want to wait for some updates to see if any patches fix it.

Must be SLI problems or a very high res, because my HD7990 provides super smooth gameplay at 1920x1080 maxed settings

I had a HD7950 and a GTX760 before, and I'd much rather have the HD7950 - more power and FPS in most situations plus the extra VRAM and memory bandwidth :)

So maybe try find a HD7950 in your price range ? Like this : http://www.proshop.dk/Grafikkort/XFX-Radeon-HD-7950-Black-Double-3GB-2322012.html

And a HD7950 would also be compatible with AMD Mantle in the future which sounds like it will give a performance boost in BF4 and other games in the future when it is implemented. 

And it would also match your AMD cpu nicely ;)

I'd get the Palit:

http://www.proshop.dk/Grafikkort/Palit-GeForce-GTX-760-Jetstream-2GB-2423858.html

I've always wanted a good Palit card, they seem to be so badass and still inexpensive over in europe... The only Palit card I've owned was a GT210 and that doesn't even come close to counting lol

Thank you for your reply. So you agree that upgrading from 6870 to a 760 is a smart choice for me? :)
Yeah, a 760 or a 7950 are both great choices. Since the 760 is much cheaper, I'd say get that. Both cards trade blows pretty evenly. Technically the 7950 is better but at a moderate resolutions like 1080P the vram deficiency on the 760 won't affect you.