Sign in to follow this  
wake boy45

All ports have been closed for no apparent reason

Got a weird one here for you guys. So last Thursday I was playing GTA 5 online and then all the sudden it kicked me off the server and has kept me off the cloud servers for the past week. So I did a little research and I found out that for some odd reason, almost every single  one of my ports has been closed. So I found 3074 UDP and TCP need to be open but alas, are fucking closed for me for some damn reason. I had two tech guys come out and they reactivated the jacks, and they kept telling me they weren't blocking any ports (he couldn't understand that the port I was talking about was not literally where my internet was being plugged in wherever else in the building) and I'm pretty sure he meant that my internet just hadn't been shut off. These guys had absolutely no idea what they were talking about and would repeat back to me the shit I said (I hardly even know anything about it) and kept talking out of their asses. The most they could do was turn my internet on and off by calling a guy. So, I was hoping I would find someone more intelligent here that would like to help me solve this problem if they know how. Thanks.

PS: My roommate's apple laptop does a port scan and picks up some really weird outlying ports as being open but only like 4 or 5.

You shouldn't have any open ports (in general). Blocked ports, on the other hand, would be bad if you had something that depended on them.

Also, you shouldn't do port scans unless you want your access restricted pretty heavily. Perhaps you should point some blame at your roommate for port scanning if that's what he was actually doing.

Did you check your router settings? Sometimes games need to be set up with port forwarding, so maybe it got reset and reverted to factory settings

Really need some more details to give much input. What kind of network/internet are you on, routers, firewalls, etc? If you are on a school campus network you will have zero control over what ports are open/closed to the outside world. If this is the case you will have to put in a trouble ticket to your school's IT department.

Okay so extra info. It's some ISP called hotwire and so far, they have given me extremely limited info on what router/modems they're using, even though it wouldn't do much good because I don't have access to them. Also as for the router, I'm plugging straight into the wall. It's fiber from some server house a couple miles or something away. No firewalls that I know of, same shit for all devices though. The problem is though I was playing a week ago then all the sudden a bunch of these ports closed. And for the port scan problem, we scanned after I checked through sites to see a huge amount of ports being closed. And for depending on ports, 3074 is GTAO. Which is blocked. And to Certified Geek I'm in an apartment building at college but yeah implication is the same, don't have modems in the closet or any control for that matter.

Well the point is it's not that bad, they've just closed which still sucks because it cannot communicate with the Rockstar Cloud servers.

Closed just means they can't ping you - you can still communicate with them if you initiate the connection. Usually it just means you can't host your own games visible to others.

Closed just means they can't ping you - you can still communicate with them if you initiate the connection. Usually it just means you can't host your own games visible to others.

Ditto, the days of having to manually forward ports just to "play" an online game have pretty much gone the way of the Flintstones.  As Waco pointed out, if you want to "serve" or host games then usually some amount of port forwarding in your firewall and router are necessary.

I'm going to make an assumption that you are playing on your PC right?  I ask because server connection problems have been pretty widespread in GTA 5 for the last couple of weeks.

One solution I've found that appears to work for many people is to change your IPv4 DNS settings.

If you want to try this, let me know what flavor of Windows you're running and I'll provide instructions.  Alternatively, if you already know what you're doing you can go ahead and try this;

Change Primary DNS from Auto to; 8.8.8.8

Change Secondary DNS from Auto to: 8.8.4.4

Save changes and reboot.

Check internet connection.

Then see if you can log onto Rockstar Servers.

No I'm playing on my xbox, you can't play on the PC yet. And I switched the DNS settings to that on the xbox and still, alas, it has not worked.

Most field techs are just trained for installations and troubleshooting wiring. Don't expect them to know anything beyond setting up a wireless network, unless they sent out an actual PC technician.

You should contact the office in your apartment and explain your situation in a pleasant way. If you're lucky they will do it. In most cases its like Savan said, chances are the router got reset to factory. Is anyone else in your apartment having that issue (outside of your room)?

If you actually had access to the network hardware, you could call your ISP and ask to speak with their network security team. They're the ones who can tell you if you have blocked ports or not (by ISP), they don't willy nilly block ports unless you do something wrong.

Edited by AZNguyen