Sign in to follow this  
Argaliad

7950 vapor-x boost oc flash to R9 280X

So i found this http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/146790/sapphire-r9280x-3072-130902.html

Currently i am running 1100/1500 (power phase 8+8) and i have the unlocked voltage model.

My question is should i try it, has anyone else tried it, is there a chance of success?

Edited by Argaliad

I would wait until some other people try it first... You could brick your card.

Edited by Black64

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes i am looking for hours to find something. But theoretically if i am lucky and my extra cores are just deactivated it is possible to work!!

It's possible, if you do try it, let us know if it works. Although I am not recommending it.

The R9 280x is just a rebranded 7970 GHz edition from what I've heard. It may be possible but I doubt you'll have any performance increase.

Chance of success? I'd say close to zero. I wouldn't do it.

Avoid it. At first let the other people do it, specially experts. See the result and then do it. Otherwise the involved risk is too much, and thus not recommended.

The only way you could even have a chance at success would be if you card could first be flashed to a 7970 like the really early HD 7950's. At that point you could try. The fact that the R9 280X is basically Tahiti XT silicon there is a chance of success. However it is much easier to just set a profile with higher clock speeds in TriXX, Afterburner or ASUS utility. 

Ya I wouldn't do it, if it goes bad you will lose your card.

The only way you could even have a chance at success would be if you card could first be flashed to a 7970 like the really early HD 7950's. At that point you could try. The fact that the R9 280X is basically Tahiti XT silicon there is a chance of success. However it is much easier to just set a profile with higher clock speeds in TriXX, Afterburner or ASUS utility. 

Listen to the experts. :teehee: Do not flash!!