xp not recognised

gandy

Hello

I have been using XP for years now and it runs fine with my FS2004.The box [AMD dual] needed replacement and I got a cheap ASUS K5130 [intel H61]which had Win 8 installed and Intel Celeron G1610.

FS2004 runs in this box faster and stutter free than I ever before experienced and I am extremely happy!

The big issue though is that no matter what I tried,I cannot get a new or old drive,each with a fresh XP install on a Dell box,to be recognised in the ASUS.Simply put,does it mean that the ASUS box and XP will never work?

So your XP setup was for a Dell prebuilt ?

The issue is not XP in itself, but the fact that it came with a prebuilt computer. Windows detects hardware change and if anything is

modified it will have to re-register, that being if you upgrade a video card or something minor. Now it detects that it is a

completely new computer (motherboard, CPU and so on) and will not allow you to run it on a completely new computer.

I have also seen prebuilt XP CDs that will not detect any hard drive but the one purchased with the prebuilt.

If it is otherwise, you have to clarify your position a bit more. Details like if Windows is a Microsoft CD or a Dell CD,

which service pack and so on.

I may not have explained myself properly!

The new ASUS box just will not boot two different hard drives that have had new XP installs done,it appears that the BIOS and the mb will only allow a Win 7 or 8 OS..I only used the Dell box to actually install the OS on the drives,the ASUS box just would go to a blue screen eventually when trying to install XP on either drive.The drive which came with the box is WIN 8 and will stay that way.

All I want from you experts is the confirmation that I am stuck with either Win 7 nor Win8!

When you say that you can't get it to recognize the drive with XP, is that only to boot from it, or with that and from in your Windows 8 environment (as a secondary data drive).

A few things above are slightly inaccurate,  Windows XP predates the need to reactivate with hardware changes, you CAN swap motherboards etc and not have to reactivate HOWEVER you need the proper drivers for the new hardware in some cases to not get a nice blue screen of death when it attempts to boot.  Technically the license from the Dell PC is only valid for that PC as it was sold as an OEM copy through Dell, but most of the time the product key on the Dell case will work with the XP CD that came with that system to activate on most anything.  

If you installed XP on that drive in an older PC then moved it over to the new PC chances are it will not boot in the new PC.  The best way to get XP running on the new PC is going to be installing it with the hard drive in that system as a clean install, however be warned if you install with the windows 8 HDD in the system there is a high chance that it will NOT be able to boot 8 after the install as the old XP boot loader does understand the newer windows OS and may overwrite the boot loader for Windows 8. 

Now lets's assume you get XP installed on the new PC, you may run into another problem finding driver software for XP that supports the newer hardware. You may have better luck as that PC seems to be running older parts like the H61 chipset you might be able to (I'll be honest I didn't look over the ASUS support site for your model they may be there easy to find) Just keep in mind windows XP is very old and 7 or 8 will be much more able to take advantage of the newer hardware.

The thing is, he only has blues creens when he is installing XP on the new machine.

I ran in a similar problem last year as I tried to install XP on a A8-3850 machine, a retail version mind you. No matter what I did,

things like removing a stick of ram, removing all devices (except hard drive) and expansion cards, I couldn't get past the blue

screen. It wouldn't let me finish my install. I have XP SP1 install disk. This is the reason why I asked for his XP version.

I plugged that hard drive in my i7 980 system, installed XP, applied SP3 patch. Removed it and put it back in the AMD machine

and I was good to go. It asked me to reactivate Windows because of all the hardware changes, I installed every driver

for my motherboard, installed all expansion cards and it worked. It was a pain and I do not recommend it.

Yes, there is no real reason to go back to Windows XP unless he has 32-bit applications or older peripherals (webcam, printer)

that the manufacturer stopped supporting. Plus, Windows 7 or 8 boot much faster compared to XP. It's time to retire that OS.

*EDIT* sentence missing,

Edited by StefenHeif

Thanks all of you who replied.BTW, XP PRO I have tried  has had SP3 slipstreamed because on the first attempt to load XP on a brand new drive in the ASUS box,I kept getting the msg in the blue screen that I had a problem with PCI.SYS.

I did not attempt to install XP on the ASUS hard drive containing  Win 8,that would not have been very clever on my part!!!

Anyway,I think that my ASUS box will have to stay as it is but that is a pity as I have always loved messing with drives and OSs etc.

The only reason I bought it was due to price,even at this late stage in my life,I still forgot to remember that nothing good comes cheap.