Sign in to follow this  
Cyberbeer

650ti boost SLI, or Single 7950.

Thats the question.  I already have one 650ti boost.  The 3rd(ish) option is the 7950 with 650ti boost doing physx

By the numbers either solution will trade blows depending on title.  Especially in the area of 99th percentile.  It's easy to get hung up on max or avg. fps, but the 99th percentile can be a very telling metric.

If it were me (considering you've already got on 650Ti boost card, I'd grab another and SLi them.

Some numbers to ponder.  These results are at 1920x1200 using AA/AF and high quality settings;

quick.compare.JPG

Benchmarks look good in comparision to a single HD 7950:

http://www.techspot.com/review/661-nvidia-geforce-gtx-650-ti-boost-sli/

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_650_Ti_Boost_SLI/1.html

However, according to Techspot: "Against the Radeon HD 7950, the GTX 650 Ti Boost SLI setup was on average 26% faster in the frame per second testing. However, once we factored in frame time performance we found that the SLI cards were just 1% faster on average. This means the actual gameplay experience will be about the same with either setup...  we recommend the single GPU option even if it represents slightly less value, as gamers will most likely find the performance to be more consistent and less dependent on driver support."

In the end, I guess it depends on how tech-savvy you are and how important Physx is to you.  Since you already have a 650Ti, doing SLI is a very appealing option.  However, as suggested above, multi-GPU setups face potential micro-stuttering issues, and you may face even more potential issues by mixing AMD/nVidia drivers.  If Techspot's assessment is true and physx isn't too important to you and/or you don't play too many physx-enabled games, I'd go with a single HD 7950. 

OP - You have to factor in the cost too.  You can pick up another 650Ti Boost card for as low as $129.99 and a few even have MIR that drives the cost even lower.

A HD 7950 is going to set you back $209.99 minimum.

When I factor in cost, going SLi with twin 650Ti Boost cards is a no brainer.

I'll confess that I'm not particularly sensitive to micro-stutter, but some people appear to be.  I can tell you that SLi performance for me (dating back to GTX 460 days) has been fantastic and I've not been plagued by micro-stutter or any other potential issues that might be related to SLi configurations.

If I had to pick a few negatives about SLi they would be; power consumption, heat, noise.

Other than that I wouldn't hesitate.

depend on what resolution you are playing, but if you are playing @ 1080P and costs is not a factor i would go for a single card solution, the 7950

if you DO wanna save a penny, then sli might be a good option to go for although i  dislike multiple-card set-ups because of bad experiences in the past.

But also take into account that he could just buy the 7950 and then sell his current 650Ti for ~$75-80 and be out less in the long run.

Also he should consider wattage and number of PSU connectors as well.

I've been moving away from muliple gpu setups, mainly because I tend to play a lot of mmo's which dont run that well with sli/xfire set-ups. That and in general you will see less driver issues with a single card setup...(less cables, heat..power usage in many cases, less hassle :) )

But also take into account that he could just buy the 7950 and then sell his current 650Ti for ~$75-80 and be out less in the long run.

Also he should consider wattage and number of PSU connectors as well.

+helping someone else out

+having an easier time selling the single card later

+having more vram (should it ever need it)

multi-GPU setups face potential micro-stuttering issues

Apparently 3 way xfire solves that issue, Tom's Hardware has an article :D Not sure if SLI is the same, probably is. Not that I'd recommend x3 cards.

Edited by DanTheGamer11

Apparently 3 way xfire solves that issue, Tom's Hardware has an article :D Not sure if SLI is the same, probably is. Not that I'd recommend x3 cards.

I feel as if it'd be WORSE in tri-fire. Not to mention tri-fire has even worse scaling overall

I feel as if it'd be WORSE in tri-fire. Not to mention tri-fire has even worse scaling overall

That's why it surprised the author of the article :D Hence that I and most wouldn't recommend ;)