Sound Blaster Audigy 4 Pro still a good choice?

kyfire

depends on which type of onboard audio. 8 years ago I would have said yes in a heartbeat but now many onboard sound very good and it would be hard to tell the difference with consumer grade speakers ($150 range). If you are comparing the Gigabyte 970A-D3 onboard than it will sound much better with a dedicated card. at $300 you really have to love good audio and I would stick within the $100 range at most unless those extra features are something you need.

edit: that motherboard has alc889 audio chip, it's not that bad but you will have distortion at higher volume and more muddy sound overall. once again it depends on the speakers you are using. I use to have a Audigy 2 (still do somehwere) and it was really night and day for me. My only complaint is Creative likes to drop support when it feels like it, making a $200 card worthless overnight when I stop using Windows XP. For that I do not believe they can be trusted for long term product support.

Thanks HBC. yea would be used on my 970A-D3 which has VIA VT2021 codec on board. Well, I have a chance of getting the Audigy 4 Pro on an auction site and likely can get it quite cheap..

• 2 weeks later...