mcsquared

Trouble with my AMD Radeon HD 7930

Lately, I've been experiencing many video card failures, i.e. video card stops responding while playing various video games.  I used Fraps and am getting 60 fps when some of these failures occurs.  I have an Intel i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20 GHz with 16 GB of Ram, and a 900 watt power supply.  Any help anyone can offer would be very appreciated.

What kind of error messages are you receiving? Like display driver crashes or something else?

My first question, as no HD 7930 have been marketed as such, which video card is yours?

A 900 watts power supply isn't much of information. What brand and model? A bunch of power supplies have overrated specs,

and yet are delivering short voltage spikes on chips that will cause instabilities.

Then, do you have GPU-Z, who can show you temperature and voltage information about your GPU?

Then, you would need something in the like of OCCT to make your graphics card to produce some heat and see if this

is the source of your problem.

Checked out the GPU-Z but found nothing wrong. Purchased Futuremark's 3DMk. Tried it out all three tests. Got failures on all 3 including the one for low end PCs. I believe my video card is the problem and will probably have to replace it. On some occasions I get a message that the card has stopped working and then it has started responding again!

I'd say contact the card's manufacturer and request an RMA. Definitely sounds like a faulty card or one that's dying.

That's what I think too.  Just for your information, I bought the card in the spring of 2012, registered it, etc.  I tried to  start a RMA, however, XFX's request form would not permit me to type in the serial number of the card nor the model number.  You can't start a RMA without the s/n and, of course, you cannot reach them by phone..  How's that customer service!  I'll never buy another XFX product!

Before you bin the card you may wish to try it in another computer computer to determine if the issue lies in the card or the computer.

Replaced the XFX card with a single EVGA GeForce GTX 780 ATX Cooler GDDR5 PCIe.  Everything works fine and I have very good 3DMark scores.  Thank for your input folks!

I would still be hounding XFX about a RMA, even though you've already replaced the card.  If XFX determines that the card is faulty they will repair or send you a replacement.  Not sure the exact model number of your particular card, but many XFX cards have limited lifetime parts and labor warranties.

Call this number and see if you can get through to a live person to help out with your problem.

800-880-3225

Best case scenario, you get a working replacement card that you can turn around and sell to at least recoup some of your costs.

XFX finally sent me a RMA. I sent the back card to them and they sent me a brand new one that I am selling on e-bay. A happy ending I guess. The card was only 10 months old when it failed, however, it was about 5 weeks from the time I reported problems with it to actually receiving a replacement. Thanks to all for your suggestions.