Reliable 256-512gb ssd

sYstEmATiC

OK so as the topic suggests, I'm looking for a reliable 256-512gb ssd. It doesnt have to be the fastest drive in the world, but I dont want the slowest either. I'd prefer the 480-512 but Idk if I can afford that atm. In the middle of building a car so funds for pc parts are slim these days. lol

I have no idea where to start anymore. I used to be huge into computers but have fallen so far behind, I couldn't tell you what the top of the line cpu is anymore.

I've got a 128gb crucial m4 right now, and the small capacity has really been getting on my nerves. its been almost full since I've bought it, 2 years ago.

I had my eye on the samsung 840 evo 500gb. Is this an ok drive? I've got a samsung 470 128gb in my laptop and its been great. Hopefully they are still ok?

Thanks,

Brian

Edited by sYstEmATiC

LOL, I have a crucial 128GB SSD that I am looking to upgrade as well, 128GB just doesn't cut it. Well Crucial, Intel, Corsair and Samsung are good SSD brands, so I would stick with them. But I wouldn't worry to much, SSDs have gotten a lot better then in the past few years, so they should last awhile.

I'd agree with Black.  You can't hardly go wrong with any major name brand these days, especially if you're not going to split hairs over benchmark performance numbers.  In my mind the top two reliable brands are;

Anything Intel and Samsung 840 Pro.  The Samsung 840 Pro is an outstanding SSD.

In addition to the often heard names, don't forget to check out Plextor, AData and Sandisk.

Don't forget 240GB drives too!

pick the cheapest and buy, you will enjoy it just as well as an expensive one lol

I have two OCZ drives, one SanDisk and one Kingston and they're all good. I'll buy whoever gives me the best GB/$

Edited by IVIYTH0S

If you go and see Plextor, those are good drives, they have the same memory controller as the Crucials, with their custom firmware (which works just great)

If you get around a M5 or M5 PRO, where the first comes on sale from times to times (80$ for 128GB, haven't noticed

about higher capacities) and the PRO settles you with a 5 years warranty.

I've have an OCZ Vertex 3 in my wife's computer, which has run pretty well for a little over a year now. Initially received a DOA from newegg but they quickly replaced it. I also just recently purchased a 256GB Samsung 840 pro. Awesome drive, great software and a 5 year warranty. Can't be beat.

I would personally get a Samsung Evo! Warranty isn't as long as the pro(3 years?) but it looks like an amazing drive.

I would personally get a Samsung Evo! Warranty isn't as long as the pro(3 years?) but it looks like an amazing drive.

Samsung EVO's are a great drives, especially when on sale lol. I'm on the hunt for one myself.

I'm liking the 840 evo for the extra 20gb and only a couple bucks more. Not to worried about features these days. Mostly interested in size, and reliability. I used to be big into overclocking, gaming etc, but I've cut way back on that. Gf, new house, my racing hobbies. Not much time for gaming anymore. Hell, this pc just got turned on for the first time in about 3-4 months just last week.  :ph34r: Going to try to get back into bf3 (and bf4).

Anyways, and as always, thanks for the help guys!

Off topic: Its nice to see old names (long time members) still posting on occ. I havent logged on here in over a year and I was worried it would be all new faces.

Edited by sYstEmATiC