Sign in to follow this  
Onion

Oops...

texting while drive should be a felony 

In some states it is. don't see many people prosecuted though unfortunately.

There's an APP for parents to prevent kids from texting while driving,.. it comes with a black box that is mounted in the car and blocks all phone usage within 5 feet of the car,.. it costs about $100 bucks but is worth every penny if it prevents something like this or worse happening to your kids.

There's an APP for parents to prevent kids from texting while driving,.. it comes with a black box that is mounted in the car and blocks all phone usage within 5 feet of the car,.. it costs about $100 bucks but is worth every penny if it prevents something like this or worse happening to your kids.

Thats good in some cases, but it a rather sledgehammer approach. What about the apssengers, or people who use their phone for a gps? Or howbout i'm upside down and stuck and i can't call the cops?

I'm more in favor of severe persecution of offenders and scaring some common sense into the idiots.

My bad,.. I guess it does not block all phone usage. :blush:   

The app is called OTTER,.. 911 would still work, lol.. The app's key function is a speed-activated, auto-response system for text messages, OTTER uses the phones GPS to determine when the user is in a moving vehicle, while the vehicle is moving, the app turns off alerts and buzzers, and sends a customizable automatic reply to incoming texts. It also silences incoming phone calls, and has several other options including one-touch text response and parental controls.

Distracted driving accounts for more than 3,000 fatal collisions and 400,000 injuries per year. Seems like most kids think it's funny when one of there friends wreck mom's car while texting, they just don't get how dangerous it is till someone is killed.

Edited by Braegnok

That sounds so annoying. My family has the Galaxy S2 and the Galaxy S3, both of which have bad battery life. Having the GPS run constantly would drain the battery in under two hours from a full charge (no joke).

So get non-shitty phones.

Sounds like a lot of trouble just to use that anti-texting thing. Or, you know, he could just... Not text?

That sounds so annoying. My family has the Galaxy S2 and the Galaxy S3, both of which have bad battery life. Having the GPS run constantly would drain the battery in under two hours from a full charge (no joke).

It probably takes network cues as well. But if you're in a car, I'm sure there could be other ways of disabling text messages.

Maybe if you're synced with the hands-free you can't use texts or receive notifications? That would make a little more sense. Then you just need to make sure that the kid always has their bluetooth turned on.

you wouldn't believe how many df's i see on the road f'#@%^ing around with their smartphones while supposedly driving...just absolutely insane, and at the speeds we travel today, and with the ever increasing congestion on the roads, the carnage is just senseless...

It probably takes network cues as well. But if you're in a car, I'm sure there could be other ways of disabling text messages.

Maybe if you're synced with the hands-free you can't use texts or receive notifications? That would make a little more sense. Then you just need to make sure that the kid always has their bluetooth turned on.

He's 18, so he can do whatever the fuck he wants. It's not that he texts while driving is the problem, it's that he doesn't listen to anyone. You can bet that bluetooth won't ever be on...

you wouldn't believe how many df's i see on the road f'#@%^ing around with their smartphones while supposedly driving...just absolutely insane, and at the speeds we travel today, and with the ever increasing congestion on the roads, the carnage is just senseless...

Completely agree. I can't tell you how many fucking times I've had to slam on the brakes and lean left in my seat (gotta lean left, frontal collision + straight 6 in a 40 year old car = 2.4 liter armrest) while half shitting myself because some stupid lady (99% of the time when this happens, it's girl drivers, not being sexist, just saying what I've experienced) texting and putting on makeup while driving. Many a time have I contemplated making them pull over to give them a piece of my mind...

Maybe if someone get's plowed by a semi because they're being a dumbass, they'll learn to pay attention. :pfp:

Yeah, I basically ruined my last car because an Asian guy (go figure) decided to turn right from the middle lane. Didn't help that my car didn't have ABS either.

On an unrelated note, now I'm driving a 2013 Hyundai with traction control.  :D

Yeah, I basically ruined my last car because an Asian guy (go figure) decided to turn right from the middle lane. Didn't help that my car didn't have ABS either.

On an unrelated note, now I'm driving a 2013 Hyundai with traction control.  :D

Traction control, good stuff. I've never personally owned a car with traction control. :lol: ABS, though, that's not too bad of a feature. Nearly ran into a GTI (go figure) when it decided to slam on the brakes in front of me. I puckered up and pumped the pedal as fast as I could. :lol:

Edited by Onion