Razer Taipan

l1il

HI!

I was actually wondering if there was a workaround to installing drivers without Synasspe (whoops, misspell without edit!?) with Razer mice.

Not fond of trojans on my computers (or Borg drivers needing to get to the collective).

I just want to reprogram the right side of my mice to behave like two extra buttons instead of being the same as on the left side of my Taipan.

It is a quick replacement to my Corsair M60, which is not as tough as I imagined at first (hint: Hawken is a lot of frustrating sometimes).

Built like a tank? Yea maybe, the one that lost the war. The wheel and the left click broke after a couple of nudges.

Well, looking around on the net I've seen some awful things about Synapse...

I don't see any drivers for your mouse that predate the Synapse system, so you might be a little screwed to say the least. You could always try installing the drivers and then uninstalling synapse but I don't know if this works or not.

Otherwise you might have to install it, find out where it's installing the drivers and copy them, then uninstall synapse? I'm not sure how well this will work either.

plus those tons of bugs maybe that's why i didn't bother to touch that "synasspe" :teehee: since my deathadder 3.5G days. just used the legacy drivers which i saved at my computer.

it's a long shot; that i wonder if the deathadder's legacy drivers could work with the Taipan.

i'm happy with my M60 btw :)

Thanks Locutus and sword!

it's a long shot; that i wonder if the deathadder's legacy drivers could work with the Taipan.

i'm happy with my M60 btw :)

I was happy too, but the aluminum backplate does not render it immune to breaking. It gave me a bit of hand cramp because I clutched the mouse with a claw grip, otherwise my thumb would go past the sniper button. I get a bit carried away when I find myself alone against 3 opponents in a missile assault, and my team is hidden behind walls w/ full health.

I also thought to use other legacy drivers, but if the button count is not good or they don't have dpi adjust, I should as well keep the Windows driver. I was skeptic about using drivers made for other sensors. I'll give it a try.

The driver file is not a self-extracting .exe, so I'll have a shot at taking the base driver out when I'll have a bit more time available.

I'd try the legacy Death Adder driver and see if it works and does everything you need.

If that doesn't work you might be able to extract the installer package from the .exe and if so, it might be possible to only install the mouse driver without the Synapse add-on.

7zip will usually extract all of the files from an executable installer package.

The only thing that I've seen is that sometimes the installer package is coded in a way that you can only run the main installer (which includes the entire package) and you can't install just specific sub-components.

I tried a different mouse driver (deathadder) and another one (don't remember which) and just got a notice as waiting connection of peripheral... oh well :unsure:

What I meant by "not a self-extracting .exe" is that I used 7zip to take the driver only and discard any Synapse related junk. Could not open it.

I was also sure that the Taipan had some onboard memory, but boy was I wrong! At least it looks like it can take some injury and it feels easier on my wrist

(which is personal, because most say that the m60 is comfortable, but I could only use it in a claw grip because I was use to a Logitech G5 which is longer
and supported my palm better)

Couldn't you download the Taipan drivers and then just uninstall the Synapse 2.0 ones? From the sound of things they're separate, so when the entire package is installed the Synapse ones can then be uninstalled and leave the actual drivers.

Couldn't you download the Taipan drivers and then just uninstall the Synapse 2.0 ones? From the sound of things they're separate, so when the entire package is installed the Synapse ones can then be uninstalled and leave the actual drivers.

That's kind of what I was trying to suggest, then he could use something like Advanced Uninstaller to make sure that when he does uninstall it that it gets rid of all the applicable files.

That's kind of what I was trying to suggest, then he could use something like Advanced Uninstaller to make sure that when he does uninstall it that it gets rid of all the applicable files.

Aha, yeah, guess it is. :lol: What I get for not reading it fully. It'd be the best possible solution imo, if any pre-Synapse driver won't fully recognize the Taipan.

After some experimenting, I could install the mouse driver only, just to see that there is no gain to get.

Customization is through Synapse, the driver is just indicating Windows which mouse you have. Installing it alone means a pair of side buttons are not active

(they are the same 2 buttons repeated), the DPI buttons are not functional either. Next time, I'll wait a bit more before buying and check the reviews first,
OCC then Tweaktown, they rip apart the mouse slowly to evaluate which switches are included in there.