Took my first animal with my recurve today.

Gr4vitas

So long story short, I took my first animal with my recurve today. On top of that, I shot it out of the air. It was a young (yearling) female turky but it was the only one of the flock I had a shot at. In fact the rest had moved behind a large nole and this one (spooked like the rest) took off into the air to catch up (I was stalking them) I had to get down on my knees to get an open hole through the thick brush and get a shot, but I did in an instant and sent my arrow through his vitals while he was flying.

To anyone who doesn't archery hunt or isn't into archery I suppose it probably doesn't sound like a big deal. But lets just say I'll never forget today. My first kill with my recurve, my first turkey and I shot it out of the air. 

That's my brother who was with me, (also took a couple shots before they spooked and started to run). I think he was equally excited.

The turkey landed in a swamp patch and was soaked through pretty well by the time I got up to him, so she's all wet. Not the best for photo taking, but hey it was for the experience and for the meat, not for a trophy.

(I would have liked to post this image strait to the forum post but apparently you can't post images with a jpeg extension anymore? Awesome.)

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/Qu4ke/IMG_5034_zps93a6481a.jpg~original

Edited by Gr4vitas

Thanks everyone! I can't wait to get back out into the woods with my recurve! There is just something about shooting instinctive, watching your arrow fly exactly as you imagined it in your head and landing exactly where you were looking.

Me and my brother were both in disbelief when I shot and we watched the arrow sail strait into the turkey in the air. It was just all instinct, I didn't plan any of it, as soon as it took off into the air (which gave me a good body shot at it as they were all partially obscured) I just drew my bow and shot, I surprised my self when I realized what I had done and my arrow was sailing perfectly for the turkeys vitals.

It was actually pretty funny, me and my brother both looked at each other with our jaws on the floor and I just shrugged.

My brother is actually the more skilled shooter, he's been into archery for longer than me and has been shooting instinctive (with his long bow) for much longer than me. I only got (really) into archery about 6 months ago and in only 6 months I grew tired of shooting dimes with my compound bow and sold it for a recurve.

If you've never shot a bow before, I suggest you try it. It's the most addicting thing I've ever done. The compound bows are cool and all and they're fun in there own regard, but the instinctive shooting is really what gets me. 

Its funny too, almost everyone thats into archery starts out with a compound but many years later converts to traditional.

I shoot in a state 3D competition, all the guys that shoot traditional are always older guys late 40's and up. I always thought it was just because they thought it was "cool" or what ever, but then I realized it was actually because they (just like I did) grew tired of the compound bows and how relatively easy they are to shoot etc. but for most people it takes many years to realize how lame it is shooting laser guided missiles out of a compound bow, and how truly rewarding shooting a traditional bow is.

Fortunately I learned this much sooner (in 6 months :P).

Good shot man. I haven't even hit the woods yet, let alone got anything...

My problem with a bow is that i can't seem to shoot without burning all the skin off of my arm... but can be fun.

Haha, you just have to have proper form and have your bow setup right! If you ever have any questions feel free to ask!

That's epic man, you're the next cast-in for Hawkeye in the next Avengers movie lol

I'd love to try archery sometime, but wanna focus on becoming a better marksman first

Haha thanks man, I wish!

Edited by Gr4vitas

I have never owned a compound bow myself. My 1 and only bow I ever owned was a recurve, and since I have never shot a compound bow I would like to try before going back to recurve. That is if I get back into archery now that I am into shooting guns again.