Sign in to follow this  
road-runner

Start Button Menu Windows 8

Just wonder which app is good to add the menu start button to win 8 , free is better also do not want any spyware trojans etc. Dad got new laptop since his burned up in the fire and cant work windows 8 called yesterday ready to buy a whole new laptop or wants windows 7 put on it..

I think you can get it by updating it to 8.1 (BLUE). No app needed

Edited by Black64

or use startisback and buy it for a few dollars (2$ for 2 pc's, 5$ for 5 pc's)

it is exactly the same as windows 7 start, but with more customization options to do (the button can be customized for example)

Edited by WarWeeny

everything that ive seen with 8.1 is there is a start button and all it does when clicked it take you to the tile screen.     I use start8 from stardocks and is great looks just like win7.

The best solution depends on what you want to do.

1. Want to use desktop fully and never use Metro Apps: StartisBack is the current best solution however I am not sure if it has support for the changes made in 8.1

2. Want to use Desktop but still use the Metro Apps: For this I suggest a combination of Start8 and ModernMix. These two give you the full desktop usage with the "apps" being usable at the desktop level as well and they already have full support for Windows 8.1

Windows 8.1 brings back the Start Button but not the Start Menu and that is what most people want.

Of the two solutions I have found Start8/ModernMix to be the solution I use. This gives you full access to features in Windows 8/8.1 without having to use the Metro interface at all if you choose. Plus Stardock has a long reputation of making Windows interface apps and the cost is actually reasonable.

IMHO, just get windows 7. We just got another PC at work and it's running 8, long story short we put 7 on it and solved most of our issues.

ClassicShell (you can make it look like Windows 95 or XP too!). I love it :)

Ditto... Free on top of that, and you still have access to apps from it.

ClassicShell (you can make it look like Windows 95 or XP too!). I love it :)

Ditto... Free on top of that, and you still have access to apps from it.

You actually have access to the apps from any choice, with ModernMix they just blend into the desktop. Otherwise you have to use the Metro interface.

Thanks guys , I will try that classic one I guess first I downloaded all suggested gonna throw em on flash drive for when I see him again. I got on it and did not like it either though I manged to find my way around I can see why he doesnt like it...

Edited by road-runner