Video to DVD Issues.

Psywar

Heeey ya'll

I am posting this for my brother.

He owns a Sony NEX FS-100 and he shot a wedding last weekend with it.

1080p @ 23fps 

He is having an issue putting this wedding on to DVD and having it not look so crappy when he plays the DVD back.

Could you recommend to me or explain to me how he should go about converting his video to burn it to DVD and still make it look good.

He is using a Macintosh - He has pretty much everything needed to convert and publish the film. 

I am under the assumption DVD is 480p (Widescreen) 854x480 would give the 16:9 ratio?

Is there a special codex as well he should be using to take this video file and dumb it down?

He has all the Adobe Programs including Encore which is what he initially used.

Thank you guys for any and all help!

Looking crappy is not much information. There are a lot of settings in video editors that can make a video look crappy.

If it is choppy, he has to keep the 23 fps or once per second it will look like it is skipping, or even play at seemingly different speeds.

If people look all super slim, he has to keep image ratio the same. If it was shot in 1080p widescreen, he has to keep 16:9 format.

DVD can both have 4:3 or 16:9, so he has to look for 852x480. Usually, you DO NOT input custom resolution, as they are presets
you usually select. The scaling of the image gets mixed up sometimes.

Third, the compression algorithm, or codec. This is a pain in the butt. He has to select one that keeps file size decent while
maintaining a sufficiently good image quality. I am not familiar with Adobe Encore, as I use another software instead. If he
used a lower quality codec because of the time it asked for the compression, well, there is the problem. Even with a

multi-core CPU or GPU acceleration, converting a one or two hours video takes a good while.

With codecs you usually have to whether set bitrate or set quality. Setting quality is easy, as all you gotta do is set it to high,

and look if the software can fit it on a DVD. You usually have a bar going from green to red at the bottom of the screen when

you are about to burn it. If it's in the red zone, it just won't work. Then you lower the quality preset a bit. If using bitrates,

you have to calculate the maximum allowable bitrate . Keep an overhead for the TOC about 10% of the DVD.

If the video takes more than two hours, use a DVD-9 double layer instead, as it offers more space, so you can keep a higher quality.

Every modern house-common DVD Player is able to read DVD9 unless they are of the first batch.

We can probably go with a DVD-9 disc for starters. 

Do you use a Mac? If so; what do you use for encoding to DVD? 

I am also not positive what he meant by look crappy. I would assume it looks grainy. 

He has about 10gb worth of footage @ 1080p and I know Encore compressed all of that to about 2gb (I think) on his DVD.

I did not personally see his DVD though so I don't know for sure. I will ask him and get his response.